Hydrofoil recommendations

tim

What helped me more then the hydrofoil is trim tabs, my Sea Ray took forever to get on plane with the nose up in the air I couldn’t see for a long time. I added trim tabs now she hops on plane and can trim it to where I want it. JMO....

• Like 1

I have used them and they do help but on a 15 hp suzuki outboard that i tried one on  it robbed the water to the water pump and burned the pump out and on my big boat it helps it get on plain but still not happy with results just bought a pair of sx smart taps ck them out i think they will do the trick and pretty fair priced as well.

I have one on my aluminum 17 footer on a 70hp outboard. It helped a lot but I never needed it before I hung a kicker on the back. Can you distribute your weight forward more? I ended up moving my gas tank to the front of the boat and moving my console forward about a foot any way because I couldn’t fish in the wind.. my front was way too light and it blew all over the place at walleye trolling speeds. Now that I moved everything I probably don’t need the hydrofoil. Just a thought?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

If it is a 19 footer you can probably get away with just a hydrofoil. If it is 22 foot, go for a hydrofoil and trim tabs. either way you will have to play with your lower unit angle to make it work.

I’ve got tabs on the back but with a 15 horse four stroke kicker on a 19 foot islander the front and goes right up in the air I figured the foil would help

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We've got one on the 175hp outboard on our islander.  I can't tell you if it helps much since I've never had the boat on water without one but our boat pops up on plane fast and gives me lots of range (speed and boat orientation) using the trim.  The boat will hold on plane down to roughly 13 mph.  Down the road I'll probably add trim tabs but for what a hydrofoil costs I don't think you could go wrong.  

After installing a Trolling motor And Bracket that weighted about  200 lbs on my 21 ft. the trim tabs didn't  quite do it . Added  Hydra foils  [ 150 hp. outboard ] and a Couple 25 lb. bags of lead shot in the bow , PERFECT ,  Gets up and rides like a charm.