Another new guy

Hey folks.  I've been watching this forum off and on for a couple months and decided it was time to join up.

I currently live on the East side of Rochester and also have a summer place outside of Clayon in the 1000 Islands.  I don't get out fishing nearly as much as I'd like, but that's life with 2 young kids.  Not enough hours in the day.

Anyway, I've been really chomping at the bit to get some ice fishing in since the last few years have been complete shutouts when it comes to actually having fishable ice that I trust.  After hard water fishing with my brother in law and his dad for a couple years, I finally got my own gear (HUGE score at a yard sale), and that's when things started to warm up.  Due to familial changes, I no longer fish with my brother in law, so I'm left trying to figure out how/where to ice fish around Rochester, on top of where to get bait fish and the like.

Hopefully I'll be able to learn some things and get out on the ice at least once before the season ends this year.

Hey folks.  I've been watching this forum off and on for a couple months and decided it was time to join up.

I currently live on the East side of Rochester and also have a summer place outside of Clayon in the 1000 Islands.  I don't get out fishing nearly as much as I'd like, but that's life with 2 young kids.  Not enough hours in the day.

Anyway, I've been really chomping at the bit to get some ice fishing in since the last few years have been complete shutouts when it comes to actually having fishable ice that I trust.  After hard water fishing with my brother in law and his dad for a couple years, I finally got my own gear (HUGE score at a yard sale), and that's when things started to warm up.  Due to familial changes, I no longer fish with my brother in law, so I'm left trying to figure out how/where to ice fish around Rochester, on top of where to get bait fish and the like.

Hopefully I'll be able to learn some things and get out on the ice at least once before the season ends this year.

Pm me and let me know where and when you want to go out. If im going out you would be welcome to come along. Ill show you some good areas to fish and a couple good local bait shops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 minutes ago, bondouley said:

Pm me and let me know where and when you want to go out. If im going out you would be welcome to come along. Ill show you some good areas to fish and a couple good local bait shops

I appreciate that.  I'll definitely be in touch.  It's a whole different world when you're "driving the boat" rather than just along for the ride, and I'm quickly learning how little I actually know.

I have some work to do the next few weekends, but hopefully I'll be able to get some time soon.

camper -you have a golden opportunity right there to learn from a very seasoned fisherman:):yes:

Edited by Sk8man

I know it’s a ways off, but I have a cottage outside of Sackets and two little ones (I understand where you’re at!!!). If the lake is willing, I try to get out when I can. You’re more than welcome to join if you like. PM me your details and I’ll let you know the weeks/weekends I’m around.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I appreciate that.  I'll definitely be in touch.  It's a whole different world when you're "driving the boat" rather than just along for the ride, and I'm quickly learning how little I actually know.

I have some work to do the next few weekends, but hopefully I'll be able to get some time soon.

Sounds good bud just let me know

2 minutes ago, greenboatluke said:

I know it’s a ways off, but I have a cottage outside of Sackets and two little ones (I understand where you’re at!!!). If the lake is willing, I try to get out when I can. You’re more than welcome to join if you like. PM me your details and I’ll let you know the weeks/weekends I’m around.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sackett's is definitely up there, and probably not in the cards this year with my limited free weekends.  I definitely appreciate the offer, and will keep it in mind moving forward. 

I do have this grand plan of getting up to Clayon to fish the river someday.  Sadly our trailer gets closed up in September/October, and no power or water, but at least the Harbor Hotel is warm and dry.  That's my plan for "someday", though.

All my family is up by Clayton. More towards cape Vincent though. I'm actually heading up there to ice fish tomorrow. Taking my 3 year old Cuz he's been asking for a while. Where abouts do you live east of Rochester? I'm in palmyra and I go to sodus usually for perch. I used to hit up Braddock Bay when I lived in Greece. There was a good bait shop on dewey ave. Otherwise I go to B&E tackle on rt. 104 in Webster or Ontario.

All my family is up by Clayton. More towards cape Vincent though. I'm actually heading up there to ice fish tomorrow. Taking my 3 year old Cuz he's been asking for a while. Where abouts do you live east of Rochester? I'm in palmyra and I go to sodus usually for perch. I used to hit up Braddock Bay when I lived in Greece. There was a good bait shop on dewey ave. Otherwise I go to B&E tackle on rt. 104 in Webster or Ontario.

I think my 4 year old would love ice fishing, but I don’t have the confidence in my own abilities to make it fun for him. And e doesn’t sit still very well. Yet.

I’m in fairport. My only experience is down on Silver Lake and Honeoye Lake.

I’m wondering how the fishing may be on the ponds near the high acres landfill on 31f. Any experience with those? (Local is awesome simply because of time)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never fished those ponds, and I don't know anyone who has I don't think. I'm not the greatest ice fisherman. I just like to go out with friends and drink a few beers and hope for some action. My son doesn't sit still either, but my nephew will be there so they can play together if they get bored of sitting. 

• Like 1