Wanted Putting cabin on land?

Want to put cabin on land I purchased.  Wondering of a reasonable priced place for gravel and maybe a prefab cabin? Steps for permits?  Just looking for a little getaway for hunting and eventually family when kids get older. Any help or suggestions would help. Thanks

5 hours ago, Nautitroller said:

Ask local code enforcement they will assist.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup, it's different everywhere. I had to apply for a variance just to put a MAXIMUM size 8 x 12 toolshed at our place, even prefab on akidders because there's no above ground structures allowed on land that's zoned reclaimed pasture. Amazing. I ended up not even bothering...two of the neighbors have installed huge pole barns where I should be able to store stuff during the winter.

When I called the CEO he was mentioning blueprints and septic tank plans. Makes me want to lay down some stone and buy a camper. It is in an area with telephone poles. Run electric. Thought I could just get a permit, roll out some stone and put a prefab on it. Jesus, more involved than I thought. 

• Like 1

Go to the Township and ask to talk to the permit and ordinance enforcement officer.

He/She can give you the application for permit, what you will need, also they will give you a copy of all the specs you will need. Plus you'll break ground on a good working relationship.

Educate yourself from the source!

Good Luck to you with your endeavor.

Edited by GrumpyFisherman
addition to post
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bosun Cowboy said:

I built a 24’ x 24’ cabin on a 50 acre parcel in Livingston county back in 2000. My taxes went from $600 a year to $2400 in just a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That is around the size I would like too but exactly what I don't want to happen with the taxes.    If I had a vehicle to tow a camper it would be a camper definitely. 

28 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

IMG_20171124_201320188.jpg
Here's a pic and you can steal our toilet idea...lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol. Probably would be the best watch on my property. You have electric there or use a generator?  Look like a setup I could probably pull off at my land if I get a vehicle to tow a camper. 

Edited by fmrdd0331

Seasonal camps as they are sometimes called are taxed different then residential dwellings. The square feet of the building makes a difference as well . I built mine just under 500 square ft after my discussion with the tax assessor.
But with 10 foot walls it makes the loft roomy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol. Probably would be the best watch on my property. You have electric there or use a generator?  Look like a setup I could probably pull off at my land if I get a vehicle to tow a camper. 

No electricity. We use a 2000 Honda generator and it powers the heat, lights and stereo with zero issues. We take the battery home after hunting season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There is probably a minimum size which would be legal where you are.  Build the shed on RR ties so it's not a permanent  building ,& a 1 hole out house . 1 room 10'x12' & a 6'x10' deck on the front all the same floor framed on top of the leveled RR ties.  . Hide it in the woods & don't tell on yourself.  Ours is about a 1/2 mile in. This was built on advice from the local tax assessor.   jmo.