New down riggers

I saw some MAGNUM METALZ at the Niagara expo. They looked like great down riggers, has anybody bought and tried these out??

They claim they will bring up a 25lb. Weight at 200’ / min.

There rod holders look good too. They look a lot like the ones I built for my boat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i really like the looks of them. i am a big fan of riggers that don't have black plastic cases.i checked out their website and the price goes up fast with upgrades. i really like the traxtech riggers too.speed isn't a big deal to me.i run big jons now and am happy with them. i think my next set of riggers will be the traxtechs.

• Like 2

They only have 1 model I could find and it’s 1500.00. I like the controller on the DRES-400 it has some nice options. But there is no way I’m spending 3000.00 on 2 riggers.
Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

you can find them a little cheaper but yes i agree they are pricey. after buying new electronics and rod holders this winter they aren't in my budget this year.  cannon has a rebate program going on now. might be worth a look

• Like 1

NO AUTO STOP AVAILABLE!! I to was at the Niagra show, need two new riggers, I was interested in Cisco, no auto stops, Went to Magnum Metalzs, no auto stops, went to Trax Tech, $1500+! I guess I'll go another direction.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are like that on purpose. The clutches are so smooth, they can bottom out and spin. But u have to touch a switch when your rig gets up, I know it's a big inconvenience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ended up buying a set of Magnum Metalz.  Check them out on YouTube.  I was also concerned with not having the auto stop feature.  After talking to Shawn the way these are setup for the clutch to slip when the ball is stopped by the pulley.  It was a win for me as I've had guys on the boat break off a ball/probe with high speed scotty's.  

Not sure where you're located but if you want to check out mine let me know.  Price was very reasonable as well.

Hey guy's thanks for the interest. Yes we do not have auto stop because we feel our clutch system is a better and safer option. When fishing in choppy conditions the ball will stop depending on if the boat is on top or on the bottom of the wave. You then chance having a swinging ball at the water line of your boat and possibly a swinging probe if being used. Our system brings the ball tight to the pulley head, loads the spring and keeps the ball and release in the ready to be set range with no fear of a swinging ball at the water line of your boat. Yes our riggers will easily lift 20+ pounds. I personally run 25 pound weights every charter along with others. We are not "new kids" on the block when it comes to riggers and rod holders. We were the original creators of the Vector downrigger back in the 90's. Here is a video were we lifted 100+ pounds with our base model 420.00 rigger. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Shipping was 30$ ! Lol. I assume that's a flat rate for riggers...

No it is not 30.00 for the Dubro kit. Shipping calculator is automated and it sometimes does some crazy things. Will look into it. If interested just shoot us a message on website and can let you know actual shipping.  

I would be nervous about having a knick or fray in the cable with it stopping like that.  I wouldn't want my ball swinging around out of the water either.  Other than that, they look like well built riggers. 

I would be nervous about having a knick or fray in the cable with it stopping like that.  I wouldn't want my ball swinging around out of the water either.  Other than that, they look like well built riggers. 

That sounded bad....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1