Smart Troll

Tyee II

I am seriously considering adding a smart troll to my arsenal. I have a Grady 23 Gulfstream with Grady Drive and twin outboards. I'm wondering where I would need to mount my transducer for optimal performance? 

My p66 is located a few inches starboard of the drain plug and works really well on plane and while trolling, so I was thinking a similar location, maybe the same distance from the drain plug to port, would be okay?

What do you guys who have had issues with your transducer location for your Smart Trolls think?

It is best to mount Smart Troll Transducer near the outside edge of the boat as much as possible and that is especially true with outboards (or an out-drive).

1) There is much less vibration at the outside edge of the boat than there is nearer the center of the transom. The Smart Troll system is very sensitive so that it can pick up the signals from the probes hundreds of feet away. Too much hull vibration can cause the transducer to ring and cause interferance. If there is a kicker then the transducer should definitely be mounted on the opposite side as the kicker.

2) The closer the transducer is to the outboard the farther back a probe on the opposite side of the boat will have to be to get a straight line of site to the Smart Troll Transducer. Imagine if the transducer was right up against the outboard then there is no good line of sight to the opposite side of the boat. The farther the transducer is from the motor the better the angle to get line of sight past the outboard.

Please let me know if you have more questions and I am happy to answer...

Edited by Smart Troll
misspelling

Thanks for the input guys. I was hoping with the bracket, the motors would be far enough back for clearance, but didn't realize the transducers were so sensitive to vibration as well.

Sounds like it may be tricky on my boat with the trim tabs being located right where I need to mount the ducer. It also sounds like the smart troll will only perform well on one side of the boat, which is not a huge deal since that's how my probe is now. I was envisioning being able to clip the probe onto any line I was running, but that's not the case apparently. 

Edited by Tyee II

Tyee II,

Very few Smart Troll owners have reported having difficulty getting a signal from probes on both sides of the boat.

You can put the Transducer above the trim tabs...it just has to be below the waterline enough so that it stays underwater most of the time in waves.

The signal is coming from the Probes at an upward angle...when the signals hit the surface they do reflect back down so you may get a signal with the trim tabs down...but it is also possible that for best performance you may have to put the trim tab that is below the transducer down when trolling. If you want to email a picture of your transom I will gladly make a suggestion. Just use sales@ my website domain...didn't want to spell it out because that is what bots look for to send spam.

2 hours ago, garrymny said:

Sorry, is this a temp probe, or speed control?

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

More than just a temp probe

Smart Troll uses  small probes that you can attach to your rigger or fishing lines which transmits temperature, depth and speed data to a transducer mounted on your transom.  You can use up to six different probes to monitor six different lines at the same time.  Works well on your riggers, dipsies, or even on your long lines.   

• Like 1

I just bought the smart troll and built a shaft with the transducer mounted to it so its not yet permanently mounted to the boat. Now when I get set up and drop lines to fish I will clamp the shaft to my transom so I can move it around to get the best possible location. Im thinking if its the lowest thing in the water the best it will work. Then maybe making a type of lift/drop mount for the ducer if it is best to be deeper in the water, I’m-told line of sight for best signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That's a good idea, scobar. My problem is I will be leaving my boat in the water for the season and I really want to get mine right the first time. 

This is the best shot of my transom I have without unwrapping the boat...

20170909_171751.jpg

Tyee II

That area to the right of the swim platform is a good spot. Actually, if there is a similar spot on the port side...where there is no swim platform then even better.

The transducer just has to be a few inches under the waterline...just deep enough so that it stays underwater most of the time in waves. 

The futher to the outside edge of the boat...the better.

Edited by Smart Troll
Spelling

34 minutes ago, Smart Troll said:

Tyee II

That area to the right of the swim platform is a good spot. Actually, if there is a similar spot on the port side...where there is no swim platform then even better.

The transducer just has to be a few inches under the waterline...just deep enough so that it stays underwater most of the time in waves. 

The futher to the outside edge of the boat...the better.

My swim platform is the same on the port side as it is in the picture. So right under my scupper is the ideal location (between the starboard edge and trim tab)? Is there an advantage to either port or starboard since my port prop is counter rotation?

Thanks again and I wish I had grabbed one of your deals you had going last fall....

Edited by Tyee II

Just be careful with "line of sight" to the probe,  with 2 outdrives in the water they may block picking up the other side probe. That is why I am thinking of making a type of Power pole mount for the ducer to drop it deeper in the water to clear my outdrive. 

The mount for your motor sets back quite a bit...but if you put the transducer near the scupper like you described then it should be ok. The probes are deep so the signals are coming to the boat in an upward direction so the signals should go under everything to get to the transducer.