Dipsy rigs

So I have come into a great deal on rod and reel package from neighbor who is refitting his entire boat. That being said I will now have a dedicated set for salmon and set for eyes. I'm looking at spooling dipsy rods up with wire.

What's the bennifit of wire?

Is it worth doing for eyes too?

Current set up is braid to dipsy.

Also what should I be spooling with for big boards? Going to try and run coppers and cores off boards. So that to mono to attach or is braid better.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I’d run the braid divers for spring salmon and walleye and spool up wire for summer and fall salmon. I prefer a section of heavy mono between braid backing and weighted lines like lead core/copper/steel to attach to planer releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I’d run the braid divers for spring salmon and walleye and spool up wire for summer and fall salmon. I prefer a section of heavy mono between braid backing and weighted lines like lead core/copper/steel to attach to planer releases.

Why the switch for summer and fall salmon?

We tried wire diver sets for eyes last fall.  The braid out fished the wire 8 to 1.  Not sure if it was vibration/hum of the wire or what.  Works well for Salmon, but didn't seem to work on the eyes.  Even varied the amount of line out figuring it was a depth issue...but that didn't seem to help. 

We only had 1 braid diver on board, but it did the bulk of the catching. 

• Like 1

I use wire for eyes. I use wire on my low divers and braid on my high divers. The wire seamed to catch all the eyes that were bigger. I don’t know if it was because we run them the deepest or something else? I also use magnums for the low divers.

I switched all my diver rigs to wire last year, didnt hurt my eye numbers at all on the few days we fished lake Erie with them.

Then again, walleye numbers were unreal on Erie last season and just about anything we put in the water got hit.

• Like 1

I switched all my diver rigs to wire last year, didnt hurt my eye numbers at all on the few days we fished lake Erie with them.

Then again, walleye numbers were unreal on Erie last season and just about anything we put in the water got hit.

Looking to be even better this year

• Like 2

Absolutely Stoneam, I was just talking to my fishing buddy about that. This year may be the best we will ever see in our lives. Already planning on trailering from Sackets Harbor to walnut creek for two long weekends this summer, maybe more depending on the kings/ lake conditions

• Like 1

Absolutely Stoneam, I was just talking to my fishing buddy about that. This year may be the best we will ever see in our lives. Already planning on trailering from Sackets Harbor to walnut creek for two long weekends this summer, maybe more depending on the kings/ lake conditions

Awesome. It's actually closer for me to fish Erie than Ontario so I plan on fishing them hard this year. And now that dad moved to SC I won't have as many reasons to drive thru the fingers weekly to fish when I can be in dunkirk in a hr or so.

Can't wait itch is getting bad. Good luck this season

I used to run a deep six diver off my wire rod down the chute and it was very productive. Only stopped when I added a third and fourth rigger to my spread and it was in the way a lot of times. 

Another productive method for Lakers is running pound balls on wire and bouncing bottom with dodgers and spin n glos. 

A lot of guys on Lake Michigan bounce dipseys off bottom to dredge up big Lakers as well. I wouldn't try it with braid because you will surely lose your dipsey. Plus the wire gets the diver deeper than braid will.

I used to run a deep six diver off my wire rod down the chute and it was very productive. Only stopped when I added a third and fourth rigger to my spread and it was in the way a lot of times. 

Another productive method for Lakers is running pound balls on wire and bouncing bottom with dodgers and spin n glos. 

A lot of guys on Lake Michigan bounce dipseys off bottom to dredge up big Lakers as well. I wouldn't try it with braid because you will surely lose your dipsey. Plus the wire gets the diver deeper than braid will.

Just what I want to do is lose equipment over a mud chicken....lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 2/11/2018 at 5:01 PM, stoneam2006 said:

Also what should I be spooling with for big boards? Going to try and run coppers and cores off boards. So that to mono to attach or is braid better.

I run a section of mono for the clips on big boards if braid backing, or all mono if you can fit it

• Like 1