Trolling with carbed two stroke?

Bearcat

Just picked up another Whaler, this one has twin Johnson 100's, carbed, 1991 or '92.  If they check out I'd like to use them this season. I know the 90 degree V4 OMC motors were very reliable, but does anyone have experience trolling with them? Can they normally idle for a few hours without loading up and fouling out? 

I can't speak for your exact model, but I have a 91' 75hp evinrude with the VRO pump removed, ran at my mix of 50:1and have trolled for hours with no issues. She fires right up and doesn't spit after a good 4-5 hr troll. Only thing that bugged me was that at troll speed she shook the boat a bit, again completely different setup than yours just figured I'd share my experience. Thankfully I scored a sweet little honda 4 stroke and will be running that this year.

I had a 88/88SPL on a 18’er center console, can’t tell you how many times I kicked myself in the a$$ for selling that boat and motor, she trolled for hrs. & hrs. with never even a hiccup. Best motor I ever owned!! I ran Amsoil in it 100-1 plugs were always a nice chocolate brown. If tuned correctly you shouldn’t have any issues!! 

Have them tuned by someone that knows what they're doing and enjoy the new rig. One thing I always did when trolling with two stroke is run the snot out of them after trolling long hours to clean them out. Don't know if it is necessary but it's what I was told to do by an old boat mechanic and never had a bit of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I've always removed the vro pumps as well, though most OMC mechanics seem to think they're very rieliable, many of them get removed because the alarms tend to go off for no reason.  I've read that some guys keep a separate premix tank at 100:1 to use when trolling.  Sounds risky?

Fishnut, what oil did you use? I hear that some of the synthetics like amsoil can allow for a leaner mix. 

I used yamalube I believe it was called. It’s full synthetic. The reason I used that type of oil was because that’s what I used in my 4 wheeler at the time.

I only ran that in my trolling tank. My boat tank I ran an off brand full synthetic. The Yamaha oil was 7.00 $ a quart 10 Years ago. But it made it easer to mix being in a quart.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app