Remmington Outdoor company to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

U.S. firearm manufacturer, Remington Outdoor Company, said it will file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, but stay in business throughout the process.

"Difficult industry conditions make today's agreement prudent," said Jim Geisler, Remington's executive chairman, in a statement released by the company on Monday.

The company has been dogged by falling sales after one of its rifles was used in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre of 2012.

The restructuring will help the company to cut its debt by around $700 million and inject $145 million in new capital into its different units.

What a shame............

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Wow who would of thought Remington fire arms would be in distress, that’s a bad rap for the company to have been labeled with that mishap. People are clueless, what if it was a Winchester?? Would people boycott Winchester?? Not miss the picture here the didn’t walk itself in there and kill those innocent people a not head behind the gun killed those folks. It’s terrible that we have such freaks in this country. All it takes is one to ruin it for all.!!!

You who elected Trump are the culprits who caused this. When Obama and his gun law history created paranoia among the owners who hoarded more guns but now stopped purchasing more guns feeling more secure with Trump in office. Yes I voted for Trump but if Hillary was elected guns and ammo sales would have picked up.

Edited by jimski2

You who elected Trump are the culprits who caused this. When Obama and his gun law history created paranoia among the owners who hoarded more guns but now stopped purchasing more guns feeling more secure with Trump in office.

Did I really just read this? [emoji27]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

18 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

You who elected Trump are the culprits who caused this. When Obama and his gun law history created paranoia among the owners who hoarded more guns but now stopped purchasing more guns feeling more secure with Trump in office.

I hope you are joking...

19 hours ago, pap said:

Wow who would of thought Remington fire arms would be in distress, that’s a bad rap for the company to have been labeled with that mishap. People are clueless, what if it was a Winchester?? Would people boycott Winchester?? Not miss the picture here the didn’t walk itself in there and kill those innocent people a not head behind the gun killed those folks. It’s terrible that we have such freaks in this country. All it takes is one to ruin it for all.!!!

Or.... ya know.. maybe not make a dangerous product that misfires

3 hours ago, jimski2 said:

I didn't know I was a culprit. I used to arrest culprits in my previous career. If the witch had won, we might not be hunting at all.

Edited by Jimmyi

Remington going into chapter eleven means that a lot of suppliers are not getting paid. 700 Million dollar is a lot of money. It seems to me that this is a cold business decision in which the company comes out smelling like a rose and suppliers get shafted to the tune of $700 million. No I do not pity Remington for one moment and I am sure that the management will get big fat bonuses while laying off employees.

On a different note and put in a different way,maybe the gun market is saturated.

It doesn't matter whether they manufacture cars, Barbie dolls, or guns. Business is business. It's not like the gunsmith in Avon who we all recall fondly; Remington is a big company. Sales drop for lots of reasons, and the message that it was due to Sandy Hook is nothing but spin. Execs make stupid decisions, management screws up, these are reasons why businesses tank. And yes, Remington is making a decision that may leave other good folks, including their small business suppliers, with empty hands. This is not a bedtime story. It's cutthroat business. 

It doesn't matter whether they manufacture cars, Barbie dolls, or guns. Business is business. It's not like the gunsmith in Avon who we all recall fondly; Remington is a big company. Sales drop for lots of reasons, and the message that it was due to Sandy Hook is nothing but spin. Execs make stupid decisions, management screws up, these are reasons why businesses tank. And yes, Remington is making a decision that may leave other good folks, including their small business suppliers, with empty hands. This is not a bedtime story. It's cutthroat business. 

Yep. Businesses that can’t or won’t keep up with either market demands, operational efficiencies that keep you competitive from a cost standpoint or are unable to innovate to keep sales pumping are always at risk. All the way from the small shop on the corner to the 100 plants across the country giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We all have our experiences : I purchased a Remington 597 semi-auto in 17 cal. rimfire : Read in the back pages of a shooting mag. that the gun had a tendency for shell cases to split and not to shoot the gun ! Remington apparently condescended a $200 credit on the purchase of another firearm   [ purchased gun new ; purchase was registered no recall notice ] I will only be cheated once !

I know a lot of guys around here have switched over to Savage, they claim is the barrels are much better also the triggers are supposed to be much better. I know of a lot more Savage rifles bought than Remington’s. In this neck of the woods also the price difference may have made a difference?? Most of my rim fire guns are Savage models.

• Like 1

You who elected Trump are the culprits who caused this. When Obama and his gun law history created paranoia among the owners who hoarded more guns but now stopped purchasing more guns feeling more secure with Trump in office. Yes I voted for Trump but if Hillary was elected guns and ammo sales would have picked up.

WHAT???

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

FALL 2017

ILION, NY — Remington Arms Co. has laid off 55 workers at its Ilion plant, Ilion Mayor Terry Leonard said Thursday.

He received a call from the plant manager, who told him that people were being notified Thursday as they began their shifts.

″(The layoffs) are due to market turndown, industry-wide,” Leonard said. “It is not due to them moving jobs to another site, it’s not that situation at all. It’s simply a reaction to the market trends over the past quarter.”

Remington did not return a request for comment Thursday afternoon.

This is the second round of layoffs this year. In March, 122 were laid off, which included about 110 members of the United Mine Workers of America Local 717.

While many people are concerned that eventually Remington will move its operations out of Ilion completely, Leonard said he believes that, for now, things are safe.

August 2014: 105 Remington employees learn they’ve lost their jobs as a result of the consolidation

November 2014: 126 more Ilion employees are laid off.

March 2017: 122 more in Ilion are laid off.

Sept. 7, 2017: 55 in Ilion laid off.

This was the beginning of the end last fall

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL