Remmington Outdoor company to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Stop glorifying this stuff in the media then. Kids today are followers and want as much attention as possible with no regard for consequences (because the most basic childhood disciplinary consequences are considered abuse now). As for the whole “military style” guns are bad conversation, the most deadly school shooting (VA Tech) was carried out with 2 glocks. Why do these scumbags use AR’s? Because the media glorifies them as the guns to use for mass shootings.

As far as Remington being in financial trouble. Besides the market being down I’m not sure if you guys have seen Remington products in the last 10 years but besides Rem Oil I don’t think I’d give them 3 cents for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, PeltHunter said:

Stop glorifying this stuff in the media then. Kids today are followers and want as much attention as possible with no regard for consequences (because the most basic childhood disciplinary consequences are considered abuse now). As for the whole “military style” guns are bad conversation, the most deadly school shooting (VA Tech) was carried out with 2 glocks. Why do these scumbags use AR’s? Because the media glorifies them as the guns to use for mass shootings.

As far as Remington being in financial trouble. Besides the market being down I’m not sure if you guys have seen Remington products in the last 10 years but besides Rem Oil I don’t think I’d give them 3 cents for anything.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

I'm with you guys! Mass media, instant cultural homogenization, and everybody has the recipe. The reason it keeps happening is because we're telling everyone exactly what to do. It's not just kids who are lemmings. Monkey see, monkey do. That's most of us, me included at times.

As for how all this is going to play out on gun manufacturers, I think it's impossible to predict. The pundits didn't expect gun sales to skyrocket like they did with Omaba or plummet with Trump. 

10 hours ago, PeltHunter said:

Good points. The amount of violence portrayed in video games, movies, on the TV and news has desensitized us to violence period. Many parents see nothing wrong with letting their kids watch it from an early age, let them spend copious amounts of time unsupervised watching it and we seem to forget that kids and teens as well as adults learn primarily by watching events, situations, and others in our environment. The copycat stuff is highly predictable after these major events and the media very much shares responsibility in this. When they report historical summaries of the numbers killed, give detailed descriptions of circumstances and authorities reaction to it, and "glorify" the weapons used - unstable people from various walks in life including adolescents children and adults feeling powerless in their own lives think to themselves: "I can be the center of attention too and I can show them how powerful I can become too" etc. The so-called "assault" weapons lend themselves to that feeling of power in the way that they have been portrayed in the media and tv and especially when they see adults seemingly terrified of these items and making all sorts of emotional comments about them. The bottom line is that there can be and have been mass shootings using other firearms as well but until these basic underlying issues of the glorification of violence itself in our culture and media is dealt with we will be seeing more of this happening regardless of the gun laws implemented. The mass shootings are a symptom of something more centrally wrong with our culture.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I personally believe that the respect for human life (or lack there of at this time in the USA) is really the root cause of this.

Everyone wants to have a reaction that hits home but the reaction trumps that of actual human life. Look at the action called swatting... That is basically 1 step below committing the crimes of opening fire one someone directly, by having another basically do it for you with little to no repercussions. Remember, most of the time, police are not held to the same exact rigors of being able to discharge their weapons mostly due to what their job entails (and in most cases rightfully so)... if you don't have to do it but you call in a SWAT situation on another because he or she pissed you off or bullied you are whooped you in a game online, the possibilities of having a bullet fired by them and nothing coming of it other than 1 dead body and someone else taking the blame for it makes it that worse yet easy for them to rid themselves by someone elses actions

• 4 weeks later...