Lake Ontario water level meeting tonight in Greece NY

TONIGHT--ALL SHORELINE RESIDENTS ARE INVITED!!!
7pm on Tuesday 2/13/18 at Greece Town Hall.
The lake level meeting, which was originally a Grand View Beach Association tri-annual meeting but now looks to be more focused on flooding issues, is on for tonight at the Greece Community Center multi-purpose room (on the Greece Town Hall campus). 7pm.
Bill Reillich and Senator Joe Robach will be speaking, and Assemblyman Peter Lawrence is expected to show up. No confirmation yet on Dan O’Hara of NYS Office of Emergency Management, but still possible. Possible TV news coverage.
Hope you can make it! Please spread the word, more people would be better for our cause.

Anyone with Lake Ontario water level concerns/Questions should attend.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

To be fair, dIscharge out the Saint Lawrence is higher now than last year at this time(somehow that is not on that chart) and if we get the rain in March and April this year that we got last year, even Donald Trump will have to consider global warming as being valid.  The lake is higher than last year at this time, but we've had some pretty heavy snows with subsequent melt off.   If they let too much water go, everyone will be clamoring for dredging so they can get their boats in the water!

From the news report I saw this AM, it looks like most of the discussion focused on compensation from FEMA and others for damages. 

4 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

To be fair, dIscharge out the Saint Lawrence is higher now than last year at this time(somehow that is not on that chart) and if we get the rain in March and April this year that we got last year, even Donald Trump will have to consider global warming as being valid.  The lake is higher than last year at this time, but we've had some pretty heavy snows with subsequent melt off.   If they let too much water go, everyone will be clamoring for dredging so they can get their boats in the water!

From the news report I saw this AM, it looks like most of the discussion focused on compensation from FEMA and others for damages. 

Last year we did not have the snow pack that we do this year.  Erie is high again.  Heavy rains this spring and we will be in for one hell of a ride!

*If we get the rains like last year, yes.  We have already lost a lot of the snowpack, even a lot of the snowmobile areas up on the Tug Hill are showing one to two feet along the trails, sometimes they have 8 feet  on the ground.  If they keep pumping it out under the ice in the St Lawrence, the Ottawa stays reasonable, and we have a more normal spring rainfall, it may be high but not record high like last year.  

I hope they continue the high outflows until we are closer to “normal”. My suspicion is that they don’t want the water to get too low, as that is bad for shipping and hydropower- and therefore magically we won’t see lows all that often. Hope everyone learned their lesson and invested In floating docs and updating breakwalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

"Normal" precipitation for March and April is ~7"  ( if it all was snow it would be ~70 ices).  Last year we had~14".  The area of excessive precipitation extended way up into Canada so the "spate" in the Ottawa River was also high.  We had bad flooding, but nowhere what Montreal got.

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

"Normal" precipitation for March and April is ~7"  ( if it all was snow it would be ~70 ices).  Last year we had~14".  The area of excessive precipitation extended way up into Canada so the "spate" in the Ottawa River was also high.  We had bad flooding, but nowhere what Montreal got.

One of the local weather guys made mention of possible a wet spring.  So far this winter Redfield NY has received 310" of snow.  There is no way the snow pack is gone yet. 

18 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

One of the local weather guys made mention of possible a wet spring.  So far this winter Redfield NY has received 310" of snow.  There is no way the snow pack is gone yet. 

This link will let you look at today's snowpack all over the hill and the western 'daks, at least near the trails. 

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm   A great deal of snow disappears without runoff when you get high wind combined with warmth, like yesterday, sublimation.

I am sure there are places a lot deeper back in the woods, I've seen pockets of snow in late May up there.  I know about the snow pack in Redfield and Lacona, but a lot of that has gone off in the previous melts, and is going off now.  Here's the last 60 days on the North Branch of the Salmon, the gage is in Redfield.

graph?agency_cd=USGS&site_no=04249200&parm_cd=00060&period=60

It is interesting how the same people who will completely dismiss model predictions that they don't agree with, will use other models as if they were gospel. Even a wet spring won't necessarily mean "record rain". And lets pray it doesn't for more reasons than Lake impacts, I know a lot of farmers that can't take another hit like last year.