Sea Ray Amberjack

Little Crappie

Alright so I don’t know if I’m just going through my normal boat gypsy phase in late winter or what but I’ve been looking at these amberjacks for a while now and they seem like a pretty sweet platforms for fishing. It seems a kicker mounted to a swim platform would be very doable especially on a the 27ftr with 2 out drives. I currently have a 21ft chris craft with a 200 etec and it’s awesome on gas so I’m a little nervous about going any further considering the haul from Henderson to some decent fishing grounds. Figured someone on here could tell me some pros and cons

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If gas is a concern,don't do it.Most boats in that size range get 1.4 to maybe 2.0 mpg at cruise. Your probably at 3.0 + with your set up and if you trailer it your buying gas on the street which is in many cases a 1.00 per gallon less. What I don't like about boats in that size with a flush deck and I/Os is the high center of gravity and that also translates to not being able to lean over the gunwales and "work" the water for whatever reason. I am not singling out Sea Ray, just the design. It is at best a average quality built boat and I would thoroughly check out the stringers and transom for water intrusion. A kicker may save you a few bucks a day in fuel but it will take more than a few years to recoup the cost of motor and controls in most cases. Pros, it's bigger and more comfortable in rougher water than your current set up.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

I appreciate it. Nothing worse than getting into something you don’t like, and as much as I’d like to say gas isn’t an issue, it does come into play when the fish are 20 miles out or so from the boat launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Take it from a person with the same thought, had outboards all my life never had any issues other than normal wear and tear. I had to have a inboard, feel the power and hear that bad ass 350 rumble!! never again, they consume fuel like I got stock in opec LOL, way to many moving parts. Between the motor and the outdrive. Plus the ritual of winterizing it. The newer outboards are so much better then I/0 in my book. Now your looking at twice the amount of maintenance!!! I had/have both and would never go with a I/0 again. JMO, I’m consider myself pretty handy, so if your not to mechanically inclined you will have bills enough to give you a heart attack. That my feeling towards what your going to do.

• Like 1

Yeah, what Pap said,I got a 4.3 in my 22' PennYan, Great on gas, but engine maintance and repair. $$$$, lower unit and outdrive maintaince and repair$$$$, can't use the boat in the winter, ( I live on Seneca and Cayuga), your outboard is a better way to go IMO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, dick black said:

Yeah, what Pap said,I got a 4.3 in my 22' PennYan, Great on gas, but engine maintance and repair. $$$$, lower unit and outdrive maintaince and repair$$$$, can't use the boat in the winter, ( I live on Seneca and Cayuga), your outboard is a better way to go IMO

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:yes: :yes: just say no!! 

Matt, keep your Chris Craft with the Etec, or sell it to buy a bigger boat with an outboard. You enjoy early season fishing too much to switch back to an I/O that has to stay winterized until warmer temps are here to stay for the year.

2 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Matt, keep your Chris Craft with the Etec, or sell it to buy a bigger boat with an outboard. You enjoy early season fishing too much to switch back to an I/O that has to stay winterized until warmer temps are here to stay for the year.

:yes: :yes:

Thats the reason living 4hrs away from the lake I’ve never been able to enjoy the great brown trout fishing Lake’O has to offer. I have made things easier but it’s still a 45 to a hour to remove all the water, the biggest pain in the azz is removing the floor board on the port side to get to the power steering cooler, and the water pump hose. Where a outboards do all that on their own.

13 minutes ago, pap said:

:yes: :yes:

Thats the reason living 4hrs away from the lake I’ve never been able to enjoy the great brown trout fishing Lake’O has to offer. I have made things easier but it’s still a 45 to a hour to remove all the water, the biggest pain in the azz is removing the floor board on the port side to get to the power steering cooler, and the water pump hose. Where a outboards do all that on their own.

From now on, it's aluminum boats with outboards for me. Everyone talks about having a "rough water boat", but I can't tell you how many days in 2017 that were too rough for 27ft fiberglass boats. Of course, I'm talking about the lake conditions from Henderson, NY north to the St Lawrence River. When it's too rough on Lake Ontario, I always have the option of taking my 16ft boat to a smaller lake for bass and trout.

• Like 1