Penn Yan

walk on water

Fishing had been very good, mostly blue gills and sunfish. Crappies are starting to show up. I’m still in sallow 10 to 15 feet over weeds. Lots of company out there . Seems to the hot bite . But you guys ate pretty tight lipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There will probably be a LOT more company out there now....there are lots of good reasons for being tight lipped with that type of fishing.

Edited by Sk8man

Actually, I'd say there has been a lot of good information on Kueka posted here, and Longspurs has been providing an illustrated guide to ice adventures all over WNY.  Maybe Walk on Water is like the guys on Iceshanty that post twice and then expect to be told exactly where to set up their little TV, without actually reading back through the recent posts.  Also, my sense is that the guys here are NOT fishing Kueka for 'gills, they are a little deeper looking for striped fish and skinny lakers.  :lol:

Edited by Lucky13

The internet has ruined spots on the ice.  I can remember going to Canadice 15 years ago and not seeing another ice fisherman out there.  If you go there on a weekend now, it is a zoo.  I used to post reports on the ice but quit after seeing the crowds and the disrespectful "sportsmen" the reports were drawing.  Sodus this season is a prime example.  Reports drew huge crowds and people were parking like idiots, leaving garbage on the ice and trespassing to get on the ice.  Fishing access is hard enough to get now a days.  Incidents like the ones mentioned above are only making the access tougher and tougher.   

Things have changed radically over the past few years especially between the use of cellphones and the Internet and the recent explosion of fishing interest and technology.improvements. The sharing of information about trolling and other open lake situations where fish especially trout and salmon have an opportunity to even the playing field a little by having open access to a wide ranging territory is one thing, but when you compress schools of "schooling" fish and/or those spawing or gathering prespaawn in tightly congested areas the sport becomes something less than sport and when you factor in folks that don't care about the environment or the sustainability of a fishery, serious problems arise and that is where we are at in many places now. Some people actually believe that these schooling fish are unlimited in quantity, can be harvested days after day in huge numbers from the same spots without it having any impact of fishing whatsoever; nothing could be further from the truth. As in trib fishing spot burning can occur and does occur with great frequency these days and these resources are slow to rebound despite what these folks may believe. To a point fisheries (as well as some animal populations) when put under intense harvesting pressure may rebound by producing more offspring but when under multiple pressures such as those occuring in some of the Finger Lakes like Seneca and Canandaigua among others are not able to tolerate or sustain themselves without some sort of reprieve. It used to be that very few people open water fished from boats for them during the winter or even late Fall (most hunting) and not all that many people ice fished because they didn't have all the portable equipment we now have among other things. These changes are taking their toll and it is just a matter of time before the canary in the coal mine croaks. Some so called fishermen also take multiple limits (which are already too generous for perch and panfish), take panfish and perch the size that could be placed in a goldfish bowl, and in some cases leave undersized fish on the ice looking for bigger ones. The handwriting is on the wall and it isn't hieroglyphics.....it is clearly readable.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Things have changed radically over the past few years especially between the use of cellphones and the Internet and the recent explosion of fishing interest and technology.improvements. The sharing of information about trolling and other open lake situations where fish especially trout and salmon have an opportunity to even the playing field a little by having open access to a wide ranging territory is one thing, but when you compress schools of "schooling" fish and/or those spawing or gathering prespaawn in tightly congested areas the sport becomes something less than sport and when you factor in folks that don't care about the environment or the sustainability of a fishery, serious problems arise and that is where we are at in many places now. Some people actually believe that these schooling fish are unlimited in quantity, can be harvested days after day in huge numbers from the same spots without it having any impact of fishing whatsoever; nothing could be further from the truth. As in trib fishing spot burning can occur and does occur with great frequency these days and these resources are slow to rebound despite what these folks may believe. To a point fisheries (as well as some animal populations) when put under intense harvesting pressure may rebound by producing more offspring but when under multiple pressures such as those occuring in some of the Finger Lakes like Seneca and Canandaigua among others are not able to tolerate or sustain themselves without some sort of reprieve. It used to be that very few people open water fished from boats for them during the winter or even late Fall (most hunting) and not all that many people ice fished because they didn't have all the portable equipment we now have among other things. These changes are taking their toll and it is just a matter of time before the canary in the coal mine croaks. Some so called fishermen also take multiple limits (which are already too generous for perch and panfish), take panfish and perch the size that could be placed in a goldfish bowl, and in some cases leave undersized fish on the ice looking for bigger ones. The handwriting is on the wall and it isn't hieroglyphics.....it is clearly readable.

You forgot to mention the intense promoting of the sport by local interests who can only see the profitability of fishing tourism. It is quite visible on this website where lately several counties have been publishing their county fishing reports in hopes of attracting more fishermen to their counties. The local and state authorities behind these promotions all seek financial gain and do not care in the least about the sustainability of our fisheries.

Edited by rolmops
grammar

What Rolmops is saying is absolutely true as just the other week or so, I saw a commercial on TV. Saying how great the ice fishing is and it was one of the fingers, I’m not that hard core of a ice fisherman, or I would have paid more attention. The commercial showed people on the ice and dark patches on the ice. It was on the fishing channel. They were specifically targeting a NY finger lake, Damn it I wish I could remember. They say the minds the first to go:lol:. The wester basin of LakeO get a lot of air time when NY State is advertising the state itself. More about fishing now, before the winter time was about snowmobiling.

Relatively speaking Brian "no ice fishing".  All I remember from the last two years were people complaining of dink perch, no ice and ice fishing tournaments cancelled.  I think the good fishing that everyone is experiencing is a result of two poor-short seasons building stocks.  If the Sodus crew knew what people are catching out on Erie, they would leave that scene to the locals.