suzuki EFI 9.9

hawkeye625

Tohatsu make the small motors for Mercury and Evinrude . Yamaha and Suzuki still make their own. I have a 2017  20 hp Suzuki Kicker which is really the same motor as you are inquiring about and I'm most satisfied . I can run mine from my main tank or the portable and get 2 full days plus on the 2.5 gal tank at muskie speeds. My main motor is a 2012 115 hp Suzuki 4 stroke. and I previously owned a 60 and a 70 never a hicup or problem. Although I have never had an issue I live within 25 miles of a great dealer. If good dealerships were a long way away from you I would consider Yamaha myself I'll stick with Suzuki.

52 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

Tohatsu makes  almost all major brand 9.9 motors, Only the cover, paint and stickers are different. 

I have a 2016 Tohatsu 9.8 kicker and it runs great but there are differences from the Merc 9.9. The Tohatsu is not physically an exact replica of the Merc when you put them side by side and there is a weight differential with the Tohatsu's being lighter too which i8s one of the reasons I selected it as I wanted to minimize weight on the bracket. It is my hunch that the two motors although both made by Tohatsu are made to slightly different specifications.Thye are both excellent kickers.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys but was looking for feedback on fuel injected models. I have a 2010 tohatsu but seem to be cleaning the carb out a lot the past few seasons. Even when treating the fuel. Just wondered if the fuel injection models have any issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have one, it’s ran flawlessly has about 600hrs on it. It’s not as quite as my Yamaha. The problem I have had is with a throttle control, tried 2 different brands and neither worked great.

I can’t believe no company has made one with a built in troll control on a kicker. Even the new Mercs efi’s wont have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have one, it’s ran flawlessly has about 600hrs on it. It’s not as quite as my Yamaha. The problem I have had is with a throttle control, tried 2 different brands and neither worked great.

I can’t believe no company has made one with a built in troll control on a kicker. Even the new Mercs efi’s wont have it.

Evinrude has what they call Micro control on the 15HP HO kicker. +/- button increase or decreases by 50 RPM increments.

Direct injection 2 stroke. Maybe other manufactures will catch on.  

Evinrude has what they call Micro control on the 15HP HO kicker. +/- button increase or decreases by 50 RPM increments.
Direct injection 2 stroke. Maybe other manufactures will catch on.  

I hope others will catch on! If the Etecs were a real kicker and not a detuned 25hp I would own one. They are too big and heavy for my boat.

The thing that kills me is that the efi motors have the computer there, even if it’s 500-750$ add on I don’t know of many that wouldn’t want it. A factory toggle on the dash would be far superior to the aftermarket options we have available now.

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I hope others will catch on! If the Etecs were a real kicker and not a detuned 25hp I would own one. They are too big and heavy for my boat.

The thing that kills me is that the efi motors have the computer there, even if it’s 500-750$ add on I don’t know of many that wouldn’t want it. A factory toggle on the dash would be far superior to the aftermarket options we have available now.

Thats a great idea! 

My new boat has 15HP Merc Pro Kicker w/controls at the helm. Going to see how it adjusts with the throttle control before adding a remote. Have yet to run it.

My old boat has a 9.9 Pro Kicker with a Pro Troll II and it works just fine. 

Thats a great idea! 
My new boat has 15HP Merc Pro Kicker w/controls at the helm. Going to see how it adjusts with the throttle control before adding a remote. Have yet to run it.
My old boat has a 9.9 Pro Kicker with a Pro Troll II and it works just fine. 

Pro trolls work great on carbed motors where the servo is only opening a butterfly. Whith and efi the servo has to open the throttle body against a lot more spring pressure. I think that’s why I have had to much problems with a throttle control on my zuki.

43 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Pro trolls work great on carbed motors where the servo is only opening a butterfly. Whith and efi the servo has to open the throttle body against a lot more spring pressure. I think that’s why I have had to much problems with a throttle control on my zuki.

Makes sense.

My new 15 Pro Kicker is a 2018 motor but a carb unit. The first runs of 18's were still carb motors. Learned about the EFI's coming out two days after taking delivery of my boat. Probably would have opted for the EFI if given the choice only for easier starting on those early spring mornings. The only draw back to my 9.9 was it could be a little cold blooded.

We've run several 20, 25, and 30 hp suzukis for work for the last several years and they've been very good to us.  Most of the outboards see 300-500 hrs each year.  We follow the break in procedure and chance oils as the owners manual says too.  Only issue we've had on a few of them was the steering tension adjustment on the tiller models broke while trailering the boat.  Only issue we've had in a lot of hours.