Sutton Spoon Company

Yeah Mike I've been on his boat, he's been on mine, I've been to his house, even in the basement, we've known each other for thirty some odd years and I ain't never been allowed to see that hoard of spoons - probably for the best - I might try to confiscate some. Looks like Mark should be set to fish Suttons for the rest of his life even if Les loses a few more rigs of them in Seneca!

And yes they seem to be more effective with SS single hooks. Also much easier to release them to fight again.

• Like 1

:lol: Bob. Yes Don I've done that with nearly all my spoons over the years. Changed out to Mustad Siwash SS 9510xxx's. I don't do it on the smallest Suttons though as there is a weight/balance issue that can affect the action substantially (e.g. #5, #6 and #8s). I don't change the solid rings when I replace the trebles though... I cut the trebles off with wire cutters and then replace with the singles as I like the solid rings that come standard on the Suttons and with careful selection of the single hooks the weight balance doesn't affect the action significantly. The hooks come with open end.

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:14 PM, Sk8man said:

:lol: Bob. Yes Don I've done that with nearly all my spoons over the years. Changed out to Mustad Siwash SS 9510xxx's. I don't do it on the smallest Suttons though as there is a weight/balance issue that can affect the action substantially (e.g. #5, #6 and #8s). I don't change the solid rings when I replace the trebles though... I cut the trebles off with wire cutters and then replace with the singles as I like the solid rings that come standard on the Suttons and with careful selection of the single hooks the weight balance doesn't affect the action significantly. The hooks come with open end.

I know this is an older post, but hey Sk8man I was hoping you could tell me what size Mustad Siwash SS 9510xxx hooks you used for the Suttons?  I have some that I'd like to replace the treble hooks on with single hooks.  Thanks, once again!, for any info.

i use 2/0 mustad and eagle claw 210 on my sizze 22 suttons. those usa eagle claw are rugged. sutton will sell you them already rigged with a single hook. Both hooks are grreat for jigs too. Good luck. 1/0 for smalr suttons.

• Like 1

For the bigger 88's, 35's and 71's etc. I use 2/0 and for the other smaller spoons I use the 1/0 but with the very smallest Suttons like the 5 and 8 I don't change them becaause I feel that even the 1/0 probably would throw off the balance but I don't put any more pressure on them than I have to either as they are kinda flimsey.:smile:

• Like 1