Gunwale painting or covering up?

sstout

As I've got spring fever, I'm thinking about either painting the gunwales of my boat or trying to cover up some of the paint chips with something. 

She's and old girl, and was re-painted by the previous owner. After years of downrigger weights scratching the paint he used, this is what it looks like.

Anyone have any ideas on how to color match boat paint? Or something to cover it up with. I've thought about blue textured vinyl. I obviously still want it to look good. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

20171105_095141.jpg

20171017_121325.jpg

I would suggest covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet. I refurbed an aluminum Sea Nymph a few years ago that had full length gunwales. I removed all the thin aluminum and replaced it with 2x8 treated, cut to the contour of the gunwales. I bought runner carpet at a local hardware store (usually about 2ft wide on a big roll and they sell it by the foot) and glued it to the wood. Solid as a rock and the carpet really adds a comfort level when climbing in and out...and leaning over the edge, etc. It looks great too. Everything can still be mounted through the carpet. It’s a low pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you can get a halfway decent sized paint chip from it a good paint store can usually tell you the color code or something real close

Edited by Sk8man

I'm not real familiar with painting aluminum but you'll probably have to use a primer first too. They may be able to tell you in the paint store or stop by an auto body shop or call them once you know the exact color.

Edited by Sk8man

I had my aluminum 18' Starcraft painted a couple of years ago.  The auto body shop said it was a pain as they had to do a "conversion coating".  He said it had to be etched with acid first to get the paint to stick.  Just my two cents.  Hope it helpsl

14 hours ago, Tradman said:

you will want to use a self etching zinc chromate primer on the bare aluminum, DuPont variprime is a good choice

Ditto what Tradman said.  I did a complete restore 8 years ago on an old StarCraft walk thru.  You definitely want to use a self etching primer.  For that small of an area just use the stuff that comes in a spray can.  You can get it at lowes or Auto Zone.  Then what I did was use non skid paint on the gunwales.  I don't have the boat anymore but know who does and it still looks great.  

On 2/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, LakerTaker said:

I would suggest covering it with indoor/outdoor carpet. I refurbed an aluminum Sea Nymph a few years ago that had full length gunwales. I removed all the thin aluminum and replaced it with 2x8 treated, cut to the contour of the gunwales. I bought runner carpet at a local hardware store (usually about 2ft wide on a big roll and they sell it by the foot) and glued it to the wood. Solid as a rock and the carpet really adds a comfort level when climbing in and out...and leaning over the edge, etc. It looks great too. Everything can still be mounted through the carpet. It’s a low pile.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pressure treated lumber shouldn't be used with aluminum.

22 minutes ago, Sean Youngblood said:

Pressure treated lumber shouldn't be used with aluminum.

The boards were wrapped in a rubber-backed carpet and all contact points were foamed.  I screwed into raw wood that I foamed against the original painted stringers.  I'm sure the copper (CCA) chemicals can still get in there to corrode over time, but all the surfaces were painted. Hindsight, I should have used regular wood. There is no way to properly isolate treated from aluminum.  It was a 14ft deep V and I didn't end up keeping it.  Way too small.  

I’d probably paint it. It’s really about your comfort level, time you have etc. There’s a lot of ideas out there that are good as well. If you do paint, as suggested, the zinc chromate paint is a must for primer, it’s green. I had a project for a transom that I did, I did the priming sanding work, the auto body shop did the final paint. Came out great. Holding up with no issues, good luck with whatever you do. No matter what you decide, blood and guts will be on it anyways.IMG_0027.JPGIMG_0044.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app