State of the Lake meetings

Charlie P

http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2018/02/dec_schedules_3_state_of_lake_ontario_meetings_at_locations_across_the_state.html

Monday, March 12: 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Student Alumni Union - Room 1250), Rochester, Monroe County.  The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board. 

*Wednesday, March 14: 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, Niagara County.  The meeting is co-hosted by Niagara County Cooperative Extension and the Niagara County Sportfishery Development Board. 

*Thursday, March 15: 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m. at the Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina Street, Pulaski, Oswego County.  The meeting is co-hosted by the Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Association

3 hours ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Try to attend at least your local meeting. DEC uses these meetings as one barometer of the Lake Ontario fishery interest. 

Has the DEC ever considered putting at least one of the meetings on a weekend to encourage out of state participation?

How will Lake levels in Superior affect Lake Ontario Fisheries?   And "discuss" would imply that both sides of the issue would get a hearing, I don't see that happening in virtually any of the lake level meetings of the recent past.  I would personally prefer that the meeting stay on topic, unless there is some clear relationship between lake level and the status of the fish.  

DEC Announces Record High Chinook Salmon Fishing on Lake Ontario in 2017

Boat Angler Survey Finds 2017 Chinook Salmon Catch Rates Highest in More Than 30 Years

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced that Lake Ontario Chinook salmon fishing quality in 2017 was the highest recorded in more than 30 years.

"The New York State waters of Lake Ontario provide a world famous recreational fishery for trout and salmon, and our numbers show that fishing success is as good as it's been in decades," Commissioner Seggos said. "Lake Ontario consistently ranks as the most heavily fished water in the state and provides some of the best angling opportunities in North America. I encourage all anglers to fish this magnificent waterbody for large trout and salmon in 2018."

As part of the State's fisheries management efforts, DEC has surveyed Lake Ontario boat anglers to estimate fishing quality and fish harvest annually since 1985. Chinook salmon fishing has been exceptional since 2003, and survey results reveal that anglers experienced the highest catch rate ever recorded during the 2017 fishing season. DEC estimates that Lake Ontario boat anglers caught 96,226 and harvested 53,871 Chinook salmon in 2017.

Chinook or "king" salmon are the largest and most sought-after Pacific salmon in the Great Lakes and are an excellent fighting fish. Lake Ontario produces some of the largest Chinook salmon in the Great Lakes, with many fish exceeding 30 pounds or more. The fishery is currently supported by both stocked and naturally reproduced fish.

Excellent Chinook salmon fishing in Lake Ontario is expected to continue to in 2018, and anglers are encouraged to head out on the water for a chance to catch the "king" of the Great Lakes.

Senator Tom O'Mara, Chair of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee, said, "It has been my great pleasure, throughout my life, to fish trout and salmon on Lake Ontario. It is one of the world's great angling experiences and for those of us who can't wait to return, we certainly value everything New York State invests to protect its integrity and quality."

Lake Ontario and its embayments and tributaries support thriving populations of fish, including a variety of salmon, trout, bass, walleye, yellow perch, and panfish. New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. A recent statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries. The estimated value of these fisheries exceeded $112 million annually to local economies.

Under the 2018-19 Executive Budget Proposal, Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative provides $19.5 million for state land access projects and $4 million for fish and wildlife infrastructure.

A little preview of the upcoming state of the lake meetings.  PLEASE try to attend if possible.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, RUNNIN REBEL said:

DEC Announces Record High Chinook Salmon Fishing on Lake Ontario in 2017

Boat Angler Survey Finds 2017 Chinook Salmon Catch Rates Highest in More Than 30 Years

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos today announced that Lake Ontario Chinook salmon fishing quality in 2017 was the highest recorded in more than 30 years.

"The New York State waters of Lake Ontario provide a world famous recreational fishery for trout and salmon, and our numbers show that fishing success is as good as it's been in decades," Commissioner Seggos said. "Lake Ontario consistently ranks as the most heavily fished water in the state and provides some of the best angling opportunities in North America. I encourage all anglers to fish this magnificent waterbody for large trout and salmon in 2018."

As part of the State's fisheries management efforts, DEC has surveyed Lake Ontario boat anglers to estimate fishing quality and fish harvest annually since 1985. Chinook salmon fishing has been exceptional since 2003, and survey results reveal that anglers experienced the highest catch rate ever recorded during the 2017 fishing season. DEC estimates that Lake Ontario boat anglers caught 96,226 and harvested 53,871 Chinook salmon in 2017.

Chinook or "king" salmon are the largest and most sought-after Pacific salmon in the Great Lakes and are an excellent fighting fish. Lake Ontario produces some of the largest Chinook salmon in the Great Lakes, with many fish exceeding 30 pounds or more. The fishery is currently supported by both stocked and naturally reproduced fish.

Excellent Chinook salmon fishing in Lake Ontario is expected to continue to in 2018, and anglers are encouraged to head out on the water for a chance to catch the "king" of the Great Lakes.

Senator Tom O'Mara, Chair of the Senate Environmental Conservation Committee, said, "It has been my great pleasure, throughout my life, to fish trout and salmon on Lake Ontario. It is one of the world's great angling experiences and for those of us who can't wait to return, we certainly value everything New York State invests to protect its integrity and quality."

Lake Ontario and its embayments and tributaries support thriving populations of fish, including a variety of salmon, trout, bass, walleye, yellow perch, and panfish. New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. A recent statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries. The estimated value of these fisheries exceeded $112 million annually to local economies.

Under the 2018-19 Executive Budget Proposal, Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative provides $19.5 million for state land access projects and $4 million for fish and wildlife infrastructure.

A little preview of the upcoming state of the lake meetings.  PLEASE try to attend if possible.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

The amazing part about this is the number of boats on the lake in April and May was way lower than normal! 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:52 PM, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Olcott shows water is higher now than at this time last year. Oh well, maximum nutrient loading again this year. Long live the KING.

I was at Sandy today and the creek was about 8" from the normal summer high! 

• Like 1

That's right on. Lake Level is just under 246' Which is about 8"-10"   Inches above normal this time of year.

DAILEY OBSERVATIONS:  At this 246' level there is virtually No shoreline damage occurring (Shore Ice is Gone) During the  high NW or NE winds we had the past 4 weeks. We had 3 days straight of VERY high due North winds with minimal splash over. So far holding up,  BUT lets see next coming weeks. I Have 200++ Sand bags ready !!!!!

Also This highest catch Salmon Quality fishing & highest catch rate ever in 2017 was done with the lowest angler effort ever recorded on the Lake.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

13 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Jerry, is the meeting in a different building this year? Student alumni center? We used to go to Carlson

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looks like a different venue.

https://www.cwgp.org/media/pdfs/ritmap-auditoriums.pdf

This function has been held in the Student Alumni building before.  It holds more people, and the Carlson room has been overflowing the last couple of years.  The Union building is at the end of the driveway that goes up to the Welcome center, where you would go for information, this is off the traffic circle.  The Ritter Ice arena will be to your left as you walk in, then the Gymnasium.  There is a giant sculpture that looks like it is made out of steel ribbons out front of the Union.  Easiest parking would be lot D, you can also park in E, and bear left as you come up the hill.

https://www.rit.edu/fa/facilities/maps

The auditorium at the SAU wasn't overflowing last night, but there was a good representative showing of ~50 or so, maybe a few more. The guys from across the border had an interesting presentation on walleye migrations tracked through telemetry, but other than the cool factor I'm not sure of the bottom line. Fish go into Quinte during the winter and come out into the lake during the summer. Anyway, they're doing it again this year, so if you catch a tagged walleye up there, don't eat the transmitter! (try to release the fish if you can, of course).

Otherwise, the printed synopsis reflected the presentation almost point-by-point. The fish are healthy, we had a record hatch of alewives in 2016 following two (cold) years of record low recruitment, so the bait's out there...with some potentially interesting differences between the US and Canada, which is now included in the trawls...and not many folks made it out last year because of the record water, but for those that did, it was banner fishing. That's the nutshell version, I'm sure I missed stuff.

19 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Overflowing? Are you at the same meetings?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've sat in the back, and there have been very few open seats and a lot of folks on the floor and leaning on the back rail, at Carlson.   It is Murphy's law that when they get the bigger room, the turnout goes down. Maybe it is MCFAB dropping the cookies!