State of the Lake meetings

Charlie P

Thanks Jerry for posting.  How much discussion was presented for Atlantic Salmon returns and stocking?  Typically the DEC posts 50,000 per year but usually three times that number gets planted.

So sad I missed it. Certainly things look a bit more hopeful with a very good 2016 year class. This winter hasn’t been too bad, so an average year class from 2017 and good survival of the 2016 year class will do a lot to getting us “out of the woods”. I’ve been emailing Steve Lapan and he seems more optimistic than years past, though cautious... bring on the spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Any preliminary data yet on the 2017 alewife hatch. I believe they do some trawling in the fall but not sure. 

No- the trawls happen in about April. The only thing they do in the fall is the acoustic bait surveys. We will know nothing about 2017 years hatch until mid summer, when the data is analyzed

The Fishin' Physician Assistant

Atlantic Stocking:   DEC stocked what they projected.  Additional numbers reflect plants done by Tunnison.

Winter impact on 2016 Year Class (2017 one year olds):  The data  Brian Weidel of USGS Oswego showed, and he commented to this effect,  indicated at this winter could go either way, will know after April trawls.  But everyone was happy about the hatch in 2016.

2017 Alewife hatch ( 2018 one year olds):  No data presented until after the April Trawls.  I thought he said something about the October trawls being for benthic species, but my ears are getting as bad as some folks say my eyes are getting! ;)

2 minutes ago, rdebadts said:

No- the trawls happen in about April. The only thing they do in the fall is the acoustic bait surveys. We will know nothing about 2017 years hatch until mid summer, when the data is analyzed

The Fishin' Physician Assistant

Steve LaPan did say they expect to have preliminary baitfish data by mid-May, and planned to reconvene the bi-national committee for a preliminary discussion of the results sometime around then.  Pray for a nice bluebird April and May so they can get the work done easily, although Brian told me afterward that they go regardless of the weather, it takes a pretty nasty blow to ground the USGS boat.  

Which reminds me that there's a standing invite to board their vessels and observe the trawls, incumbent on space and getting to whichever port they're working. Obviously this is something that would need to be coordinated beforehand, and they might not be able to accommodate all comers this year. But, I though that it was a great way to engage stakeholders and elicit interest from the community. I'm not sure who you'd contact...Steve would be where I'd start.