Planer board reels

I replaced my planerboard reels two years ago with Amish spectra line 500lbs test and I ordered the 300ft spool and I tied one end to the apple tree and started marching over to the neighbors driveway, that’s 150ft then headed back to the apple tree tied it of at the same place. Grabbed the line found the center and cut in two. I like it it’s slippery and the releases slide down the line nice. My reels are even with the top so I have a good angle. Very pleased. So 500# pounds of strength and a 150 feet on each spool. My buddy tried the 500# braid and hated it he said when you reel them in the line cuts into the other line which make for a pain in the ass to leave the line out the next time, even creating a overloop till he’s got enough off the spool, kind of like a minor  birds nest but fighting the board pulling also!!

• Like 1

I replaced my planerboard reels two years ago with Amish spectra line 500lbs test and I ordered the 300ft spool and I tied one end to the apple tree and started marching over to the neighbors driveway, that’s 150ft then headed back to the apple tree tied it of at the same place. Grabbed the line found the center and cut in two. I like it it’s slippery and the releases slide down the line nice. My reels are even with the top so I have a good angle. Very pleased. So 500# pounds of strength and a 150 feet on each spool. My buddy tried the 500# braid and hated it he said when you reel them in the line cuts into the other line which make for a pain in the ass to leave the line out the next time, even creating a overloop till he’s got enough off the spool, kind of like a minor  birds nest but fighting the board pulling also!!
Will check it out pap...thanks for the tip

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, ifishy said:
Stoneam where are u located? I just bought a spool at South Bay on empire in Rochester as for planner line 150 lbs power pro works real well I have never tried Spectra though

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Way down in Olean on the pa border but will be taking a trip up to see Hank (L&M) before the season opens.

Is it a braid?

I use just plain florescent planer board line I think it is like 150 pound test.....I bought a spool of orange last season it is just sitting in the boat and you are welcome to it.....I bought two rail mounted reels and they came with line on them when I decided to get serious about this......and I owe ya....so its yours if you pm me your address I'll ship it to you.  Might take me a couple weeks to get into the boat and dig it out....I'll never use it.

I did get the dipsy wire from them.....but I thought I saw stainless, I went back and looked it is actually nickel trolling line from Blood Run....same function as a copper line, but silver ?  Is that what you are looking for?

by the way......stick with bright florescent planer board line ......some idiot almost ran over my boards splitting between my boards and the boat at high speed......was not happy..waiving arms blowing the horn broke off with about 30 yards to spare.....adding flags to the big boards this year for more visibility, they are already atomic yellow and pretty damn big....but ......

by the way......stick with bright florescent planer board line ......some idiot almost ran over my boards splitting between my boards and the boat at high speed......was not happy..waiving arms blowing the horn broke off with about 30 yards to spare.....adding flags to the big boards this year for more visibility, they are already atomic yellow and pretty damn big....but ......
Damn and I'll look into the blood run. Sounds right

It won’t matter what color the line is and how many flags you put on your boards. The same thing will happen, some people are just oblivious to their surroundings and think because it’s a lake there are no rules or stipulations they need to be aware of!! Just drive around in this big oasis WFO no worries.:o Until the planer board line wraps around their dumb ass neck. Best to do all you can to try to prevent a accident, just to cover your own a$$.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

What's should I be putting on my board reels? And how much of it? And I'll take any other tricks you have for me lol. Thanks guys

200# Power Pro braid is the way to go

https://www.fishusa.com/product/PowerPro-Spectra-Downrigger-Cable-Replacement

• Like 1

Bought new planer reels in 2016 which came with 150-200 lb mono on them. It was OK for a couple of months then nothing wanted to slide on it easily. Changed it out with a 300 ft spool of 150 lb Power Pro last year and could not be happier. I run double keeled Otters with Clipper releases in spring and Scottys later on

Edited by UNREEL
Added info
  • Like 1