Sea nymph help

NymphO

That's what makes this forum awesome guys willing to share advice and pics of things they have done or tried....

Nympho I used felt back viynil glue from home depot work good but I can't tell you about the durribility of it as after I redid boat i upgraded. It did seem to hold nicely. I do know it was fraction of the cost. But may be worth the real stuff. Hopefully someone else can comment on glue they used. Can't wait to see pics long the way

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's a good choice going with marine ply. It still needs a good sealant. I would recommend West system epoxy. Use 2-3 coats taking care to do edges thoroughly. I've used standard carpet glue for vinyl floors. The expoxy coating gives the floor a slick finish so the carpet glue needs to be a solid layer or the vinyl will pull and bunch up somewhat. Don't just dab it on here and there.

Good luck.

I used what cabelas sold to glue down the vinyl. I almost forgot this note. My boat sunk in shallow water right after I redid it because the live well line was cracked. Do'nt put in what Seanymth put in which was corrigated junk. Back in 99 the stuff I used was called below water line hose and back then was $3.00/ft. It can take freezing and thaw.

Sucked it up and bought the nautolex glue. Read alot of reviews of guys that had issues a couple years down the road with depot bought adhesive. I prob won't have the boat that long but if I sell I like to be confident it's worth the $$. Saving 50$ here can mean spending 200 later.

• Like 1

I redid mine last year. I relocated my fuel tank up front And my battery boxes. This was to make the front heavier. When I fished 3 people it would handle fine with 4 I would have trouble getting up on plane. (Front too light and back to heavy)
I redesigned the whole layout.
Moved the front console forward 12 inches.
Installed a 20 gallon gas tank Judy In front of the console.
Moved the batteries up under the console.
I have a 70hp main and a 9.9 kicker beside it. 2 riggers off the back and 2 off the sides.
It handles the wind and waves so much better. My flooring was really spongy. I replaced it with aluminum diamond plate. 1/8” thick. Made the new transom out of 3/4” treated plywood doubled. Sealed it with 3 coats of sealer. Riveted the floor down, all my stringers are aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Where does one find bulk aluminum sheets ? I would definitely consider doing the floor in aluminum as the newer nymphs had that
Online would be really only place I can think of. Can get it shipped to your door eBay probably has it but depending on thickness it could get pricey. I just bought some aluminum flat stock off eBay to build track mounts adapters and backer plates but that was only .25x3x36

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So I reached out to a friend that's gonna price aluminum and galvanized for me. Not sure what thickness I would need but I'll have details tomorrow. Wish I could stick to a plan but I always seemed to get sidetracked.

Anybody know what the thickness was on the nymphs that had the aluminum floor ?

• Like 1

One thing I found helpful was to mark the sides to let me know where my floor braces 

were so when I covered them with the new floor I knew where to screw it down and where my gas tank hoses ect were so not to accidently run a screw into something and along the edge not to run one through the floor,, I would take pics /videos and tell myself notes so when it came time to reassemble they helped jog the old memory..

One thing I found helpful was to mark the sides to let me know where my floor braces 

were so when I covered them with the new floor I knew where to screw it down and where my gas tank hoses ect were so not to accidently run a screw into something and along the edge not to run one through the floor,, I would take pics /videos and tell myself notes so when it came time to reassemble they helped jog the old memory..

I had definitely planned on that ! Construction backround and drywall work has taught me that lesson... Part of my template process was going to be to mark the screw holes

Ditto on marking the sides when putting the floor down. I replaced mine from a local machine shop as I didn’t want the holes from the back two seats there as I never used them. I don’t recall the gauge but it seemed as thick as the transom skin. .100 ? I repoured the foam making sure it was even with the brace. Used a spray epoxy for the nautilex floor cover for each sheet. Drilled and pop riveted it with a wide flange rivet across each support evenly spaced. Your doing great with this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

looking good.. on my starcraft,, the floor ran underneath the sides and in order to remove the sides I had to take the nose piece and two back corner brackets off to remove the rub rail to remove screws and rivets to remove sides to remove the floor..

my wife came into the garage one day and asked if I would ever get it put back together again.. I told her that I didn't think all the kings horses and all the kings men could put it back together again. thus the name Humpty Dumpty..  you will be glad after it is all done and you will have a sense of accomplishment.. 

looking good.. on my starcraft,, the floor ran underneath the sides and in order to remove the sides I had to take the nose piece and two back corner brackets off to remove the rub rail to remove screws and rivets to remove sides to remove the floor..
my wife came into the garage one day and asked if I would ever get it put back together again.. I told her that I didn't think all the kings horses and all the kings men could put it back together again. thus the name Humpty Dumpty..  you will be glad after it is all done and you will have a sense of accomplishment.. 

The nymph seems to be a heck of alot easier than that ! I showed my wife pics and she said it looks sad... Sheshalf the reason for the redo. When I got the boat she wanted to name it " piece of ship". Hopefully when I'm done I can say I told you so!

Carpet ordered. Once I get it I'm going to attempt a two tone and do either the 3 walls around the back or the outside 3 walls a different color.

The aluminum sheets for the floor was not in budget. Waiting for Monday to get the prices on galvanized but it looks like marine ply will be the way to go. Hopefully the weather breaks and I can seal the wood outside, if not somebody is gonna have a fume filled garage.

• Like 1

Another vote for Nautolex marine vinyl. I used 5/8" ACX plywood coated in epoxy and then wrapped in vinyl. [Even better would be marine ply and epoxy with fiberglass cloth]. I actually made my panels removable by making "T" angle out of two "L" angles...you attach them by pre-drilling and countersinking the screws into one panel edge, then attaching the adjoining panel by screwing it into the top. So, if I have to, I can remove the panels without wrecking the vinyl to address wet foam or leaky rivets, etc. This is on an old starcraft but it's pretty much the same (don't mind the riggers in the photo):

EDIT: I used finish washers with all the exposed screws...you can see them attaching to the stringers as well. No problem with bare feet or keeping the floor clean.

JDg4xGp.jpg

Edited by BottomDollar
  • Like 1