Sea nymph help

NymphO

5 hours ago, MCF said:

Electrolysis usually occurs in fresh water by a boat being moored in a marina with some electric current entering the water.  I know of another Sea Nymph which had batteries mounted up front for an electric motor and had corrosion in the helm area because battery acid had leaked over time. 

That's what I was thinking also the batteries are on that side.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 4:45 PM, buckboardjr said:

I did a full restoration on my GLS in 99 and the 1st thing it did was sink, do to cracked line from live well line that runs from transom. If yours has one, plug the intake and outlet ports in transom and see if leak goes away. I put new lines in mine and was good to go but never use live well. Being it's up front it sloshes around to mush in heavy seas and splashes out on to the deck to much.

i have found where the leak is just not sure what to do maybe junk it. i found corrosion on the bottom under the helm and polked a small drill right on through in one of a dozen spots by hand . the corrosion is just behind where the batteries are for the trolling mtr. i had put some marine sealant on the hole and had very little water after having it out on the water. now i'm at a loss as to what to do.

I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and Alumin. sheet metal repairs are  very common on aircraft do to corrosion. Especially bellies of aircraft near the bathrooms. Sheet metal is fun to do depending on your damage you could possibly get away with a bonded and blind riveted "Scab"patch from the outside or a solid bucked rivet scab patch or you may have to pull floor to assess and repair/ strengthen internal structure once you read how to do it and buy or borrow  a few specialty tools it might be a  DIY! 

When I had a leak in my sea nymph I had trouble finding blind rivets (closed end) at any of the local marinas. I ordered them on line but had to buy a min amount. I believe it was $75 or $100. Bought the big heavy duty rivet tool at Harbor Freight. Lots of 3M sealant around the rivets and all is fine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, lrg355 said:

When I had a leak in my sea nymph I had trouble finding blind rivets (closed end) at any of the local marinas. I ordered them on line but had to buy a min amount. I believe it was $75 or $100. Bought the big heavy duty rivet tool at Harbor Freight. Lots of 3M sealant around the rivets and all is fine.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I got some rugged ones from ski doo. $.75 - $1. a pc. If it were mine, I would most likely pull floor to investigate  and then during fix use solid bucked rivets that are cheap and better. My fiend bought a car wrecked Aluin boat cheap and we put a flush patch  with internal doublers 18 in wide x 3.5 ft up front in the compound curve area . Came out choice. No one could even tell unless we pointed it out to them and showed them the extra rows of rivets that caught the doublers.

• 1 month later...

Hey @NymphO awsome job on the resto! I think i bought my forever boat. 1990 seanymph gls195 with a 3.0L omc inboard. Love it and want to restore it this or next winter. I have restored 2 in the past so have some experience. Is there anything you would do different? or any suggestions on what to do or not to do?

thanks Waldo

blue fin 1.jpg

blue fin 2.jpg

blue fin 3.jpg

blue fin.jpg

seanymph.jpg

seanymph 1.jpg

seanymph 2.jpg

seanymph 3.jpg

seanymph 4.jpg

• 3 years later...

I know it’s been a while since this thread had action, but I just have to say how cool it was.  Great job on the restoration!!  I’m currently working on a 1985 Sea Nymph SS195. 

Actually my reason for posting is that there seems to be several Sea Nymph guys on here.  I’ll be re-powering mine with a new 90 or 115 hp after the restoration.  Just wondering what boat you all have, what engine and the performance like hole shot, top speed…etc.  Hoping to help me with the decision. Thank you.  

I have a 1993 gls195 repowered with a Yamaha f115 and that's all the power you need.

Had problems with leaky rivets , so had the bottom of the hull Line'x' and now she's bone dry.

Did lose about 2pmh however. Fully loaded with 3 guys and gear I get 32mph

I had an 85 Fish n Ski, refloored with double coated west system plywood so it had to be heavier than original. Dual group 31 trolling motor hatteries on the floor just in front of the consoles and a Terrova on the bow. A pair of Mag 10's. 9.9 kicker.

Original motor was a 90 Evinrude which ran for 31 years with just routine maintenance. With me alone about 32mph.

Repowered with a 90 Mercury Command Thrust in 2016. (Heavier lower unit, larger diameter prop, lower gear ratio) Loved that setup, Smartcraft (additional $900 bucks I think) allowed me to run the engine as slow as 550 RPM, troll on the main engine and ditch to 9.9. Top speed just 31. At the time about an $8500 swap. Never regretted it.

I have a 1991 GLS 195, just finished up transom replacement. Pulling transom out was a bit of a pain but doable, the original engine was a Johnson 90 that provided plenty of power. Repowering with a 97 Johnson 115, and my trolling  motor is a 2014 Mercury pro kicker. I also have a bow mounted Motorguide Lazer electric trolling motor, and run 3 batteries. I'm thinking with 2 fisherman and gear I should be around 35 mph with stock prop. I will post pics when complete! Love the Seanymphs

I have a 1996 Bayliner Trophy 2002 with a 150 2 stroke merc. It's rated for 43 but I get about 38-40 with 3 people and bottom paint. I'm planning on removing the bottom paint this up coming season.

I have a 1991 GLS.It has a 1988 120 evinrude and a 79 9.9 johnson.It also has a electric bow mount.

I painted it camo for ducks A great around lake boat,very stable ,no broaching like my 268 searay.My 268 searay is a great boat just not good for small mouth .I also dont have many companions left who will stay out on long trips.

My wife also is sick ,it was a bad winter.My brother is also in decline.

Both of the suffer from dementia and try and find a doctor. Todays healthcare is not up to taking care of older people. I know now why some of my friends moved away. Florida has lousy care our son died there from neglect following a head injury.NYS does not disIpline healthcare providers. LOTS OF STATE AGENCIES BUT TRY AND FIND A ANSWER.

I'm still contemplating whether to fish this year, Taking care of people with dementia is something I never even thought would happen to someone.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, lrg355 said:

Fyi, Azek is over twice as heavy as plywood.  Azek is 3.55 lbs per sq ft.  1/2 in plywood(actually 15/32) is about 1.6 lbs per sq ft.  That will make a difference

i used advantec.     3 coats poly. cover with nautolex or carpet 

On 8/18/2019 at 2:08 PM, ejb said:

thanks for all the replies and tips guys all are greatly appreciated. it looks like i have a few fastenal stores not far from me . i'll start the floor removal next month let the project begin. 

You can buy blind rivets online from Jay Cee Rivet.  It is a good idea to buy a closed end rivet with an aluminum mandril. This avoids dissimilar metals which can lead to electrolysis.  Most have a steel mandril.  Best to go all alum.  Jay Cee has them.  I also just picked up 9 yards of 74 in wide shark Nautolux at Defender Marine in Conn.  It was $25 a yard.  Everywhere else it seems to be $15.99 a ft.  So Defender is about 50% cheaper.  BUT, the catch is they wanted  over 200 to ship to Pa. I happened to be within 80 miles of there so I drove over to pick it up. 

• 3 weeks later...