Sea nymph help

NymphO

Hello all ! I'm hoping to re-do the interior on my nymph and I'm looking for some insperation pics. I have a GLS 195. The previous owner took out the walk through and made a flat casting deck. I'm looking to redo his redo and rebuild the walk through. I'm hoping for some interior pics if possible, especially up front. I plan to put Livewell/storage where it was OEM. I'd love it if somebody had the boat local to buffalo that I could come look at, if possible. Obviously pics will be a big help regardless. Google doesn't seem to have any detailed and up close so I'm hoping to find some help here. Thanks !!

• Like 1

Title change. Figured I'd post this up as I'll prob be asking advise on things going forward

Started tearing all the carpet out last night, removed rigger mounts and some of the flooring. It looks like the current floor won't make it too many more years so that's going too.

Should have got an official before, but this is where I'm atIMG_20180225_170022243.thumb.jpg.605f76083f13dd6fa2d2bacf7e6ba974.jpgIMG_20180225_170019330.thumb.jpg.70a0ceba92dbf333206a285b832c11d2.jpgIMG_20180225_170019330.thumb.jpg.70a0ceba92dbf333206a285b832c11d2.jpg

IMG_20180225_170029206.thumb.jpg.5ffe008a1fb44f01f9fae58173423123.jpg

Considering azek / pvc flooring as it seems it's the same weight as marine ply and won't need to be painted and is rot free.

There is also a storage area in between the counsels that I intend to bring back.

So the list:

Floors - pvc/azek

Paint side panels

Carpet, 20oz charcoal or similar

Rebuild bow to have walk through again

Install a live well up there

New bilge

New wood trim on bulkhead

And much more....

Right now I need to order carpet and buy flooring.

Awesome project and boat. I share an SS195 with a friend, as an extra boat, same boat as yours but a fish n ski version. I have another friend who has your boat. Both boats are currently in storage. I will send some pictures that I have from the summer...perhaps there are some shots of the interior. For the flooring did you consider using Starboard? I don’t know if Azek is a good choice for load bearing. I used some on my house this past summer and it shrinks pretty bad in the cold. I have a 1” gap where a longer piece was installed. Starboard is UV stabilized high density polyethylene (HDPE). There also might be a difference between Starboard and King Starboard. It’s going to be heavier and harder than the Azec, and more resistant to the weather. If you are adding carpet, perhaps it’s OK.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have no experience with vinyl. My concerns are traction as I plan to fish in less than perfect conditions... Cold, rain, possibly snow. I can add a throw carpet but kinda defeats the purpose. Also concerned about temps in the summer. I have kids I intend to take out and most likely will be barefoot. Not sure that it will maintain a cooler temperature like carpet. If I did vinyl it would be the nautolex in the storm grey so it's not very dark any thoughts ?

I liked mine even when wet or slimy was not slippery and never got hot. Also have 2 kids 5 and 7 and my 5 year old daughter never has shoes on. Cannot speak on snow or ice tho.

One complaint I had was when I installed it the edges worried me as really seems to work best when can roll it under side of board or put a trim piece around outside edges as I feel over time it could get snagged around edges and worked up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that I have a 16ft SeaSprite fiberglass boat.  I completely removed the floor 15 years ago and installed exterior grade plywood.  I painted the plywood with 3 coats of West System Epoxy before installing it.  I put marine carpet over top.  The floor is still very solid, and the boat sits outside year round.  Another material option for you.  

Also a Sea Nymph195 owner. When I did my floor I was able to salvage the original carpet and put it back down over new plywood. Although there is some expense involved, I coated the wood with West system epoxy, both faces, and two coats on all edges. Made for a very tough subfloor. As for the carpet, I totally wish I had gone for vinyl. My buddy's got a Lund with the vinyl, much easier to keep clean. I also keep my boat in the water. Rain always finds a way through the covers and the carpet is always wet. Wouldn't be a problem with the vinyl.

I liked mine even when wet or slimy was not slippery and never got hot. Also have 2 kids 5 and 7 and my 5 year old daughter never has shoes on. Cannot speak on snow or ice tho.

One complaint I had was when I installed it the edges worried me as really seems to work best when can roll it under side of board or put a trim piece around outside edges as I feel over time it could get snagged around edges and worked up.

So that pretty much sells me. As far as your concern with the peeling over time,mine will run up the edges 5" on each side so there shouldn't be any issue with pulling up. Now I have to decide between two colors. Talk about overthinking... They have a shark and a grey. The shark appears to be a bit darker which I'm leaning towards since they say the vinyl can be tough to clean with stains, although I don't intend on having any red wine and I assume blood will be washed off immediatly, or that night.

So that pretty much sells me. As far as your concern with the peeling over time,mine will run up the edges 5" on each side so there shouldn't be any issue with pulling up. Now I have to decide between two colors. Talk about overthinking... They have a shark and a grey. The shark appears to be a bit darker which I'm leaning towards since they say the vinyl can be tough to clean with stains, although I don't intend on having any red wine and I assume blood will be washed off immediatly, or that night.
Where are you located I have some scrap pieces left over if you wanted to get your hands on them to check out. Could meet up or even mail them to you if your interested.

12 hours ago, NymphO said:

Considering azek / pvc flooring as it seems it's the same weight as marine ply and won't need to be painted and is rot free.

There is also a storage area in between the counsels that I intend to bring back.

So the list:

Floors - pvc/azek

Paint side panels

Carpet, 20oz charcoal or similar

Rebuild bow to have walk through again

Install a live well up there

New bilge

New wood trim on bulkhead

And much more....

Right now I need to order carpet and buy flooring.

Azek is only 1/2  inch thick I've put new flooring in my buddys sea nymph and the lack of framing I would not suggest it unless you found 3/4 somewhere but what home depot and Lowe's has is onl y 1/2

I considered Azek on an aluminum boat project but did not like the rigidity. I would opt for the marine plywood or starboard. If you opt for the starboard it is more costly but they offer a diamond pattern that would not need to be covered with vinyl or carpet. I would agree with the posters who would cover the plywood with vinyl instead of carpet. Good luck with your project. 

Azek is only 1/2  inch thick I've put new flooring in my buddys sea nymph and the lack of framing I would not suggest it unless you found 3/4 somewhere but what home depot and Lowe's has is onl y 1/2

There is 3/4 available but by the sounds of it, the consensus says it won't be rigid enough... Plywood seems like my next best thing as it doesn't appear if anybody local sells starboard and I haven't even seen a shipping estimate.

Where are you located I have some scrap pieces left over if you wanted to get your hands on them to check out. Could meet up or even mail them to you if your interested.

Buffalo-. Lancaster/Alden area. Curious to see what yours looks like though !

Where can you get 3/4 I use the stuff at work all the time  but mainly exterior trim

Lowe's. ( I work there ). It was listed in our suppliers book but I didn't call to verify, I know I ordered 5/4 a few years ago and the disc it the next year, so it's possible that it's n/a. I'll find out

Hey Nympho,

I have a 1992 GLS 195. I'm in Vermont and the boat is presently wrap for the winter. I'm 99% sure I have the original brochure that came with it. I bought it new. I'll look tonight for it. I can make a photo copy of it and mail it to you.  Totally surprised your floor isn't aluminum. Mine is. Love the boat. it handles Champlain and Ontario just fine. Catches lots of fish. 

• Like 1