Daiwa Saltist

12 minutes ago, Waterdogs said:

Looking to upgrade my rigger reels to the Daiwa Saltist. What size would be the best? 30’s or 40’s? I have the 40’s already for my wire drivers but I am thinking they be too much for my riggers...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This depends on what you are doing for line and how you fish.  If you don't care about the fleas and run 20# or less as your main, get the 30's.  If you're running 30# and run deep and fish for kings it probably won't hold enough.  

We use the same size reels for wireline and downriggers when fishing for kings. We use 30lb test for riggers. I believe it's better to have a little more reel than you might actually need especially for bigger kings. We use the newer model Daiwa Sealine 47 line counters for those applications. If we're fishing only browns we go with the Daiwa Sealine 27 line counters with 12 to 15 lb main line. I'n not sure how the 30 and 40 Saltist reels match up with the the 47 and 27 Sealines as far as line amounts for each model.

Edited by MikeyP
  • Like 1

I have run the Saltist 30 for years on my riggers and divers. Last year went to the 40’s on my riggers for Kings, and I am now upgrading my divers to 40’s also. The clickers are loader on the 40’s, for some reason, and they hold a lot more line. I use the 20’s for my brown trout rods, and will now use the 30’s I am replacing for leadcores. Best reels on the market IMHO, clients love them!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Excellent advice so far from different viewpoints. I prefer smaller reels because I want them to be multi-species.  30 for riggers and divers.  If I were targeting deep water kings exclusively, I would consider the 40s.  I prefer the non-linecounters for rigger rods. More comfortable. 

Reason I went to the 40’s is faster line pickup. The bigger spool and the high retrieve can pick up line faster on those Kings that love to run back toward the boat. I asked some of my clients that have used both and they liked the 40’s much better. I went with non linecounters for the riggers. We fish Kings 100-180’ deep sometimes on the east end. Good Luck with which ever size you get, you will love them!!!

Capt Rich.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

We prefer the smaller footprint of the 30. We've run 20 lb Flea Flicker and 25 lb Ande or Big Game. Non-line counter models are easier on the wrist, particularly for downriggers. But we rarely fish over 120' down and we use 30s for wire divers too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd move your 40's over to your riggers,and put 30's on the divers. Add a little backing on a 30 and 1000' of of 30lb wire fits nicely. 40 has too much line capacity for a diver in my opinion. As far as the gear ratio the 30 is 6.1:1 and the 40 is 6.3:1. It's not THAT big of a difference. However, the 40 has a nice line capacity for when you need larger diameter lines for flea season. 

• Like 1

I used 30's for my wire divers for a couple years and was never comfortable with the line counter on my wrist.  I tried a couple 40's set up with 300yds of 30lb Sea Flea for my riggers and found the line counter was high enough that it didn't bother my wrist.  Last year I spooled up a couple more 40's with some backing and 30lb wire and started using my 30's for 20lb wire.  It seems everybody on my boat prefers the 40's.  

The gear ratio's aren't that much different but the 30's pickup 35" of line while the 40's are 47.2" due to the larger spool diameter.  Both reels are real smooth and it comes down to a personal preference.  Still like the old Sealine LCA's with the line counter on top

• Like 1