Stick Baits on Seth Green rigs

Have used them in the past but had to change hooks to singles because of the hook number limitations in the regs and adjust for weight difference (e.g. 9 hookpoints on a Rapala vs 3 singles replacement) so I could run five at a time. In my opinion spoons are more effective.

Edited by Sk8man

Yeah the reg used to allow 15 points per rod (interpretation at least) that you could have on each of two rods per person (before they changed to allow three rods but only 5 leaders per rod).

* I haven't seen anywhere where it mentions "combination" of lines not sure where it says that....Just the change in 2017 where 7 tipups are now permitted. I believe that the three rod limit is in addition to that.

Edited by Sk8man

I think you are correct in the actual reg :https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Document/I21c07304c22211ddb7c8fb397c5bd26b?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)&bhcp=1

Looks like they have considered hand lines the same  as "tipups" or "tipdowns" so it would be a total of 7. I think that was probably so that the automatic devices would be included as well.

Edited by Sk8man

My sense of it was that people were interpreting the 3 rod rule as allowing 3 rods and 5 tip-ups, or 8 lines total, and they wanted to be clear that it was still 7 total.  Also, when the original language was written, tip downs, etc. had not been invented yet.

I think it may be more like the automatic rigs that use regular jigging rods in them as the original tip downs (not the PVC etc. ones) that I am familiar with have actually been around since the 50's. 

the boats not uncovered yet so the mind wanders.  as for the regs when 3 rods was first introduced it actually had a provision for ice fishing you could do 5 tip ups and 3 hand lines.  that was only for that one (maybe two) years.  than they changed it to the 7 period.  the ambiguity in tip ups stemmed from the definition that was used that stated any line with a signaling device could be considered a tip up so by definition if you had a spring bobber on your jig rod and put your jig rod down it became a tip up for that time because you could see a hit.  

that used to be the source of all sorts of "fun" conversations and thought experiments on various chat rooms.  the new rule is very clear 7 and you have to attend them.  there are still hypothetical's out there but mostly they are just the result of ridiculousness or boredom and not very practical

as for seth green rigs I have run them a couple times i don't see any reason you couldn't run a stick bait.  i would think a shallow diver would run much better than a deep diver but that is just speculation.  i have limited experience with rigs they work and i did catch fish they just are not the top of my personal preference list

• Like 1