Auto-Stop Riggers with braid

I know that switching to braid will cause the autostop feature on my cannon downriggers to stop working. I’m looking to possibly switch to braid to lessen the blowback I’m currently getting. I run older Mag 10s and they are only rated for 10lb weights max, which I run but still get significant blowback. With no auto stop will the riggers still “auto lift” with one push on the switch? What happens when the weights reach the stopper? Will the motor keep reeling and possibly break the rigger or the line unless I shut it off? Seems more convenient to just stay with wire, but worth asking before I write off the braid.

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of the weight etc. adjust the clutch drag on the rigger so that it holds the weight fine but if the weight reaches the top it will merely sit there while the pully spins giving you time to shut off. It should be adjusted similar to that in case you hang up on bottom anyway.

• Like 1

Rick I'm pretty sure of that max. weight recommendation but a couple things come to mind regarding it: First is that Cannon probably used that maximum as a conservative measure relative to the motors standing up over time (and they replaced the motors with stronger ones later in their newer units), secondly, a lot would depend on actual usage of the riggers...occasional use by weekend sports fishermen - a lot less than you guys which may also underscore that they used a conservative recommendation to keep potential complaints and repairs etc. down. When those older rigger are treated well they can last for a long tiime. I have 2 10A's from  before 1985 that have had a lot of use over the years but I have stayed within that recommended max. weight limit too. One of the additional considerations I had was if too heavy the riggers may become even slower :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I suppose I could try running 12s seeing how I’m only a weekend fisherman. Maybe some shark or torpedo weights would be a little better than the pancakes I run now. New weights are a lot cheaper than new riggers so it’s worth a shot.

Materials for this I got the from the job because I work at Construction the weight of this is 13 lb, lead I have from my brother-in-law is car mechanic so I'm melting balancing wheels weight also depends the length of the pipe an amount of lead you can make anything you want 13 14 15 16 17lb

Sent from my SM-J700P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20180316_093402.jpg
  • Like 1

Great idea with the cost of these things now.   Your photo didnt show it but I take it you are just drilling a hole in the plate for your release and fastening your rigger wire to some sort of wire eyelet?  Are you just grinding down the nose cone?

Thanks

This might help you
Nose cutting with the chop saw and finish it off with belt sander don't use that grinder doesn't look too good and you got a used 80 grade .To hooking up to the downrigger cable I Topit in with thread seal.
Finish it off with the Scotch-Brite [emoji106][emoji6][emoji476][emoji476][emoji476]

Sent from my SM-J700P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

20180316_160726.jpg20180316_160719.jpg20180316_160628.jpg20180316_160614.jpg1521231475664.jpeg
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...