Hemlock Lake report?

fjrider

Casting from shore, I hope! We took the dog for a walk yesterday at the North end. I can't believe that the ice has gone so fast. There's LOTS of water coming off the mountain, and every little stream has opened up a big chunk of real estate. I honestly think that you might be able to throw Cleos by this coming weekend.

Edited by Gator

Went to South boat launch on Hemlock this AM.  Shore ice too thin to walk on.  There is open water in the shallows.  Should be able to shore fish soon.  Saw two bald eagles on the ice edge.  Beautiful morning for a drive! 

• 3 years later...

We went out of the south end launch yesterday and it was clearly NOT good everywhere. We trekked north until we got to where this wind blown chunkiness began. There was a huge East/West crack on the north side of that, also.  So we knew we couldn’t get any further than 40 fow on this day. A couple guys that arrived after us tried spudding through, and eventually got around it, but they were REALLY determined and spudded their way almost all the way to shoreline in order to get around it. In the end, they didn’t get more than 150 yards north of where we were fishing (which tells me that either they knew exactly where they wanted to fish and we’re willing to go through a heck of a lot of extra effort to get that 150 yards…or that they simply couldn’t get any further north). Meanwhile, the snow blew and drifted hard all morning and almost completely covered the visual warnings mentioned earlier. Another guy came out later and was walking right past us in an effort to get out to where the other guys were. He, having no idea of the extra effort and precautions those earlier guys took to get out there, simply saw people out there and figured it was safe to walk straight out to them. I yelled to him to stop and trotted over to him to explain that it was unsafe and the extent to which those other guys went to get out there. He had no spud bar and decided 40 fow was good enough for him too.

So there’s the lesson. People here can graciously share what they believe to be accurate conditions (and we thank you) but it may not be accurate. You can look with your own eyes and perceive what you believe to be true…but even that, also, may not be true. You owe it to yourself to know for yourself…first hand. 

By the way….we froze our arses off but finished with just 1 fish, a beautiful 24” LLS.

Edited by bosco

such a great post...   you can never assume...   I think people also forget how much things can change over the course of a couple hours..   just because you get out safe doesn't mean the same level of caution is required on the way back...

We went out of the south end launch yesterday and it was clearly NOT good everywhere. We trekked north until we got to where this wind blown chunkiness began. There was a huge East/West crack on the north side of that, also.  So we knew we couldn’t get any further than 40 fow on this day. A couple guys that arrived after us tried spudding through, and eventually got around it, but they were REALLY determined and spudded their way almost all the way to shoreline in order to get around it. In the end, they didn’t get more than 150 yards north of where we were fishing (which tells me that either they knew exactly where they wanted to fish and we’re willing to go through a heck of a lot of extra effort to get that 150 yards…or that they simply couldn’t get any further north). Meanwhile, the snow blew and drifted hard all morning and almost completely covered the visual warnings mentioned earlier. Another guy came out later and was walking right past us in an effort to get out to where the other guys were. He, having no idea of the extra effort and precautions those earlier guys took to get out there, simply saw people out there and figured it was safe to walk straight out to them. I yelled to him to stop and trotted over to him to explain that it was unsafe and the extent to which those other guys went to get out there. He had no spud bar and decided 40 fow was good enough for him too.

So there’s the lesson. People here can graciously share what they believe to be accurate conditions (and we thank you) but it may not be accurate. You can look with your own eyes and perceive what you believe to be true…but even that, also, may not be true. You owe it to yourself to know for yourself…first hand. 

By the way….we froze our arses off but finished with just 1 fish, a beautiful 24” LLS.
Yup went out again today, and the ice is definitely nothing like it was Friday. Lots of cracks and plenty of very sketchy ice. If you can get around it the ice that isn't obviously dangerous is nice and clear. Still about 4 inches all the way out about 1 mile north from the south launch. Was fishing in 90ft. Managed one tank brookie about 6ft below the ice. The hub looked like a fish tank. So plenty of good ice, but getting to it is definitely an issue.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

24" LLS and tank brookie...

I've heard and seen of LLS still being taken from the lake, never heard of a brook trout being taken.

Have seen articles that say there is still a limited population, but it didn't say if they were ever stocked or are naturally self-sustaining.

Edited by JJBat150

That’s a laker
Go catch more brookies lol. It's 100% a brook. I figured a lot of people don't see them too often, though; that's why I included a pic of the tail. It's a dead giveaway between Lakers, brooks, and splakes.

I knew someone would question it, and yet I'm still unreasonably mad someone would question my fish identification skills haha

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1