Hemlock Lake report?

fjrider

I forgot to ask how many and how big. He did say not many though. Does that mean dozens or a few hundred? I don't know, but yes it was an unplanned stocking so first in a long time. On a different note. Still no Lakers for me. Anyone have a good 1' contour map of hemlock or canadice and care to share? Or any advice for either lake?

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished today got out onto deep water (87ft) around 1230 and fished till 4. Iced 3 lakers and lost about 4. Had many followers and marked plenty. A few on the tube bait and the others were on a jig head with a larger niagra. Used large rattle bait and pounded it on the bottom for a few minutes to bring them in then dropped the jig on them. Overall they seemed to be finicky. Some were willing to chase but didn't want to commit. They seem to get use to a certain bait quick so you got to switch it up and keep them interested. Was my first time fishing out there. Hope this helps someone.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, muskie141 said:

I forgot to ask how many and how big. He did say not many though. Does that mean dozens or a few hundred? I don't know, but yes it was an unplanned stocking so first in a long time. On a different note. Still no Lakers for me. Anyone have a good 1' contour map of hemlock or canadice and care to share? Or any advice for either lake?

I have yet to try these lakes on the ice, hope to get out this year. I fished canadice twice by kayak/canoe for the first time last year and only managed one laker each trip. Had plenty of chasers and lookers too on the graph, but indeed the fish seemed lazy. Tons of bait too!

I just found this site, nice interactive maps of all the lakes and waterways...

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/canadice-lake-ny/

Edited by dawsonscreek

I have yet to try these lakes on the ice, hope to get out this year. I fished canadice twice by kayak/canoe for the first time last year and only managed one laker each trip. Had plenty of chasers and lookers too on the graph, but indeed the fish seemed lazy. Tons of bait too!

I just found this site, nice interactive maps of all the lakes and waterways...

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/canadice-lake-ny/
Thanks for the maps! I wonder how accurate they are...

I used to catch Brookies in Hemlock back in the 80's I think. I was a long time ago and they were stocked. That was so cool. One of the best colored fish. If I remember right, I think we even caught a few splake (cross between a brookie and Lake trout) . I have no idea why the brookies cant be stocked there. My favorite trout. Water is certainly clean and cold enough. Walleyes are a thing of the past. They have not been stocked for over 10-12 yrs ish. I picked up a few of them about that long ago. Both around 7 lbs. but they are toast now. Even 10 yrs ago they were only straglers left over from the club stocking. Like fishing for a needle in a haystack now unless they reproduced but you have a much better chance at Honeoye. Back in the 50s, Hemlock used to produce the winning Walleye in the Genesee Fishing Contest on a regular basis and they were big 10-12 lbs but then the Alwives took over and that was the end of that. Have no idea why the DEC hasnt or wont stock eyes in there. Have to protect the trout I guess. Too bad.

BTW about 15 yrs ago I found a dead one that washed up on shore and it was huge 12-13 lbs Im guessing. Biggest one I ever saw.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:36 PM, bosco said:

We went out of the south end launch yesterday and it was clearly NOT good everywhere. We trekked north until we got to where this wind blown chunkiness began. There was a huge East/West crack on the north side of that, also.  So we knew we couldn’t get any further than 40 fow on this day. A couple guys that arrived after us tried spudding through, and eventually got around it, but they were REALLY determined and spudded their way almost all the way to shoreline in order to get around it. In the end, they didn’t get more than 150 yards north of where we were fishing (which tells me that either they knew exactly where they wanted to fish and we’re willing to go through a heck of a lot of extra effort to get that 150 yards…or that they simply couldn’t get any further north). Meanwhile, the snow blew and drifted hard all morning and almost completely covered the visual warnings mentioned earlier. Another guy came out later and was walking right past us in an effort to get out to where the other guys were. He, having no idea of the extra effort and precautions those earlier guys took to get out there, simply saw people out there and figured it was safe to walk straight out to them. I yelled to him to stop and trotted over to him to explain that it was unsafe and the extent to which those other guys went to get out there. He had no spud bar and decided 40 fow was good enough for him too.

So there’s the lesson. People here can graciously share what they believe to be accurate conditions (and we thank you) but it may not be accurate. You can look with your own eyes and perceive what you believe to be true…but even that, also, may not be true. You owe it to yourself to know for yourself…first hand. 

By the way….we froze our arses off but finished with just 1 fish, a beautiful 24” LLS.

Man I can't catch a laker out of hemlock or canadice to save my life. Can you share the depth you got that one at as well as how aggressive she wanted it? I got one bite, deadsticking a tube jig on the bottom in about 80 fow in canadice last Saturday. But that's about the only action I've had after fishing each lake about 5 times. I've tried aggressive, I've tried subtle, tried deep, tried shallow, tried morning, afternoon, evening. I get looks, and then lazy fish sinking back to the bottom. I'm going mad, and the window for safe ice is closing rapidly.

9 hours ago, muskie141 said:

Man I can't catch a laker out of hemlock or canadice to save my life. Can you share the depth you got that one at as well as how aggressive she wanted it? I got one bite, deadsticking a tube jig on the bottom in about 80 fow in canadice last Saturday. But that's about the only action I've had after fishing each lake about 5 times. I've tried aggressive, I've tried subtle, tried deep, tried shallow, tried morning, afternoon, evening. I get looks, and then lazy fish sinking back to the bottom. I'm going mad, and the window for safe ice is closing rapidly.

I got that Laker yesterday at Canadice in 74fow. on a #7 Blue chrome jigging rap. I mostly fish with A tube jig but have been using Raps the last couple of trips with ok results. I was dead sticking it about 3' off the bottom. I had some Smelt Lottering around under my rap then a big mark peeled off the bottom to my jig I raised it a foot and it was game on. Canadice has been tough for me this year. I have marked fewer fish than in past years. The fish have been glued to the bottom more than past years and are less aggressive. I fished Hemlock 4 days last week 72fow to 85fow. Best day was 4 in 78fow. I marked even less fish their but found them more aggressive. Fish There were still very close to bottom but would chase your offerings up to about 10' which is about where I hooked most of my fish. I mix it up between jigging my bait and dead sticking. I have as good or better luck dead sticking until the fish appear. 10 in the morning till about 1 has been best for me. Lazy fish sinking back to the bottom can be Smelt or small Lakers. I have gotten some small 12" or so Lakers out of both lakes this year.

I got that Laker yesterday at Canadice in 74fow. on a #7 Blue chrome jigging rap. I mostly fish with A tube jig but have been using Raps the last couple of trips with ok results. I was dead sticking it about 3' off the bottom. I had some Smelt Lottering around under my rap then a big mark peeled off the bottom to my jig I raised it a foot and it was game on. Canadice has been tough for me this year. I have marked fewer fish than in past years. The fish have been glued to the bottom more than past years and are less aggressive. I fished Hemlock 4 days last week 72fow to 85fow. Best day was 4 in 78fow. I marked even less fish their but found them more aggressive. Fish There were still very close to bottom but would chase your offerings up to about 10' which is about where I hooked most of my fish. I mix it up between jigging my bait and dead sticking. I have as good or better luck dead sticking until the fish appear. 10 in the morning till about 1 has been best for me. Lazy fish sinking back to the bottom can be Smelt or small Lakers. I have gotten some small 12" or so Lakers out of both lakes this year.
Thanks I really appreciate the reply. Trying again today, and will give an update on ice conditions after all the rain and warm weather

These 2 lakes the Lakers are lazy. They never chase like other lakes " as fast as u can reel". 1/2 oz tube jig thread a smelt on the hook coming out dorsal fin and put a stinger hook by the tail . Jig that like a tube Jig.
It's called" Hemlock candy ".

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...