Hemlock Lake report?

fjrider

First of all, its total BS that NY has extended the season for Black Bass to March 15th on the Finger Lakes. Last I knew it was Nov 30th like it has been for 50 years. NYS DEC is a P.O.S. Shame on them. Cant give the bass a break because they might eat a trout? Second of all just because its open, doesnt mean you have to keep them. How about catch and release and being a conservationist? With so many guys fishing now, if everyone keeps everything, the resource will be depleted just like we are ruining everything else. (see climate change, endangered species, pollution, etc.). OK so he caught a few bass but the one on the bottom is a dink and not 12" any way you look at it. Thumbs down...

First of all, its total BS that NY has extended the season for Black Bass to March 15th on the Finger Lakes. Last I knew it was Nov 30th like it has been for 50 years. NYS DEC is a P.O.S. Shame on them. Cant give the bass a break because they might eat a trout? Second of all just because its open, doesnt mean you have to keep them. How about catch and release and being a conservationist? With so many guys fishing now, if everyone keeps everything, the resource will be depleted just like we are ruining everything else. (see climate change, endangered species, pollution, etc.). OK so he caught a few bass but the one on the bottom is a dink and not 12" any way you look at it. Thumbs down...

Though I agree with you as I'm a young guy and therefore have more stake in conservation than many, for all you know, it could be the first bass they've kept in 50 years. There is no need for a thumbs down or an angry rant.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess the truth hurts. huh? 50 yrs?  I doubt it since he kept everything. Keeping something legal is one thing but 10" bass are not legal and are slightly bigger than yearlings. Dont complain when there are no bass around with the added pressure from more people, kayaks, internet and high tech depthfinders.

I guess the truth hurts. huh? 50 yrs?  I doubt it since he kept everything. Keeping something legal is one thing but 10" bass are not legal and are slightly bigger than yearlings. Dont complain when there are no bass around with the added pressure from more people, kayaks, internet and high tech depthfinders.
Don't worry, I don't plan to stick around where there's lots of people to catch and kill my fish much longer lol. Regardless, you still have no knowledge about how many they caught, the true size of that fish, how often they keep fish, etc. I get the animosity, believe me. I'm a flyfisherman who has kept maybe a half dozen fish ever and almost vomit everytime i see someone with a wild fish on a stringer. That doesn't mean this guy's in the wrong. Morals and ethics are subjective, and just because we may disagree or see a bigger picture doesn't mean we're any better. If you (or I) really wanted to do all we could to preserve what we have, we'd stop fishing altogether. I can guarantee you that will never happen with me until the day I die. In fact it's likely I'll die in a river.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Who are you to decide what someone keeps. If it’s not illegal then it’s not your place to judge. Maybe he wanted a meal. Maybe they don’t get to fish much. You don’t know and I find it rediculous that you feel the need to impose your opinion of conservation on him. There’s plenty of fish out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I say, way to go. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from. Bass looks legal to me. I love catching and releasing. Feels great to watch a fish swim away after catching. I know one thing. My son would want me to keep those as he's adamant about catching and cooking. Been teaching him if you catch it and let it go you can catch it again someday or someone else can. If you catch it once and keep it you better use it.  Work in progress with him. He'll def understand when he's older. 

Those are brookies. Plump brookies. You'll see some good pictures of splake in the picture section to compare to. The brookies in this post have square tails. The pictures of splake in the picture section have forked tails like a laker. 

• Like 1

Well to be honest those were some of my friends dads fish, I caught one of the bass and the brown trout. They live simple and eat what they catch, the smaller bass was legal but had badly swallowed the hook. Better to eat then let rot he said. And I agree if I had caught the brooks personally, I would have thrown the back knowing the rareness to them but not my fish to decide. He also said he caught a few other brooks the week before. 

17 hours ago, BP Swing said:

1)  bass are rarely kept on most lakes.  Most are catch and release.  
2) Their population in Hemlock is not hurting at all.

3) I'm pretty sure that bass is not 10".  If he had illegal fish, I don't think he would have posted a pic on the internet.

28 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

1)  bass are rarely kept on most lakes.  Most are catch and release.  
2) Their population in Hemlock is not hurting at all.

3) I'm pretty sure that bass is not 10".  If he had illegal fish, I don't think he would have posted a pic on the internet.

I'll add, 

Many of the lakes around here are overpopulated with bass to the point that we see them being stunted. 

I'll bet most the people complaining about bass don't use deep water releases on trout and salmon they troll up to reduce the barotrauma on the fish when (if) they do release them.

Anybody who buys a fishing license can keep the fish if it's legal.  That's the law. Really, it's better to harvest a fish that's bleeding and won't survive anyway.

I personally choose to catch and release, but if somebody else chooses to legally harvest a fish that's their choice that they have the freedom to make. 

Seasons, creel limits and stockings are all predicated on knowing that some fish are harvested. Some really smart and informed professionals are in charge of fisheries management. Judging on how spectacular and world-class the fishing is in New York State is right now I'm inclined to say they're doing a pretty darned good job. 

My $.02,

Chuck

On 3/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, BP Swing said:

What’s wrong with kayaks? I actually got rid of my boat and went full in with kayak fishing. You got a legit point? Or are you just a crabby patty?? 

4A85012E-3E40-49A7-B50F-72F9B4C1D57A.jpeg

Edited by Lakertaker187