Trolling speed

Could you please explain what a thumper rod is? Please??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wire dipsey rod with a 1lb meatball on a 3way swivel running down the chute. The action of the rod tells you your speed very well.

I believe they were very popular years ago before all the new technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

It has less to do with angle. It’s more a less a feel due to experience. Guys I fish with and my self could look at are dipsey rods and tell to the difference between 2 mph and 2.2mph. If you’re catching fish you’re going the right speed. If you’re marking fish start with a gps speed you’re comfortable with and adjust from there. Spin doctors are extremely speed tolerate. Spoons not as much so. 

I think it may be a little more complicated than a general answer because it depends on a number of factors which are missing from the original question,  For example, what you are running - dipseys, downriggers, Seth Greens, toplines, coppers, leadcores, the types and sizes of lures, spoons vs. sticks, various sizes, whether in combination or all the same, types of attractors (or not), how much weight (or not)  being used etc. and there may be many varied answers. Some spoons or sticks run well when at faster speeds while others don't. Some set-ups may be compatible while others not. The same when using attractors (dodgers, flashers, cowbells etc.). Not trying to over complicate or make light of your question but depths trolled and underwater currents also have to be factored in. That is why a lot of folks have gone to the Fish Hawks and other trolling speed devices to help simplify the process.... and still there can be questions. A few considerations can be helpful though....if you have a speed indication on your depth finder  you can make some "guesstimates" regarding your individual set-ups. Run your intended lures at the side of the boat and observe how they each are running at the speed on your finder and adjust each accordingly until it looks good. Do this for each set-up so you have at least an idea how they are presenting but keep in mind this is just a "guesstimate" as they may be running different at depth or in current. A lot of information can be learned also from your rod tips....if they are pulsating (without attractors being used) reduce your speed slightly. Some lures may run OK when your downrigger wire is at 45 degrees or singing but they will also be running way above where you set them at and some perhaps revolving around without doing what you wish them to be doing. A lot of it is knowing your boat, your individual setups, the lures you are using, and assessing water conditions; so gaining direct experience with each is the best way without the electronic "helpers". It can be helpsul to carry a notebook and jot stuff down):)

Edited by Sk8man