Wanted Looking for gear, tricks and ideas

Newby here. I have a new to me Pro-Line 170 and will be new to fishng the finger lakes and lake Ontario. Plan on getting into salmon, lakers, trout etc but am also new to downrigger fishing. I have started to outfit the boat and have adding 2 Penn Fantoms, Garmin echmap sv 7,  VHF and am now looking for ideas on gear and other stuff,,, Would love to fnid some good dependable used rods, soons etc,, to kick all of this off...

Brown trout rods I personally like a med light rod 8tf to 9ft with a daiwa accudepth 27lc or okuma convector 20 is best quality for the price . top quality go to Shimano

Salmon rods 8'6 medium okuma glt down rigger rods work well and are affordable
Dawia 47lc or okuma convector size 30 or 45
Dipsey diver rods usually 8'6 to 10'6 okuma reel convector 30 or 45

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

great thanks. Just started to remove the Hummingbird 788 ci unit that came with the boat... I still have to get the riggers mounted, wired etc... with the weather warming up like this it may be an early start to the boating season

Edited by sgilbert14
  • Like 1

You mentioned that you are new to downriggers. It is important to give some careful thought about placement of them before installing. It can make all the difference in the world  For example long booms and short ones have difference placement issues and any of them when placed in a less than desireable spot can create perhaps unforeseen problems.  For example placed too close to the motor and then wrap the wire in a prop on a turn, placed too far near the edge of gunwales the handle or other item may hang up on the dock when coming in etc. Placement can vary greatly with the particular boat.

I just pick up a 94 Pro-Line 170 and some gimble mounts so I can use the rod holders to old the downriggers. wanted to make them easy to remove when just out for a ride. The riggers are penn phantoms with the long booms and swivel mounts..

Your setting up a 17ft pro line Youll find what you like better personally for rods n reels and your boat setup not sure what you have for rail space? If i could give an example you have two downriggers on the back id add a dipsy holder just front of the riggers and if you plan on planer board fishing for browns maybe a small set of horizontal or vertical trees you could run 2-3 lines off the boards per side a dipsy a side and two riggers just as a basic setup I charter off the Lake but have a 17 ft starcraft for personal use have had it setup that way for years and works great

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app