Modifying boards

Fishwilly

The boards are usually so far out there that the towing line has a bow in it  and is now no where even close to remotely lifting the boards. Most of the time the last 10 feet or so of line is crashing the waves ,not above them. Now if you ran them 25' feet from the boat, maybe.

Interesting conversation. I've had the Amish Outfitter Redwood boards for years, they have always pulled like a mule on steroids, to the point that I invested in the Cisco Electric Planer Reels because they were no fun at all to crank in by hand.

23 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

The boards are usually so far out there that the towing line has a bow in it  and is now no where even close to remotely lifting the boards. Most of the time the last 10 feet or so of line is crashing the waves ,not above them. Now if you ran them 25' feet from the boat, maybe.

Evidently you must have run store bought boards. Every revolution on my planer mast is approximately 1ft my boards are out 50+ every trip and with homemade board or the Amish made I guarantee you there’s no bow or line laying in the water. It’s a strait shot from the pulley to the boards that are pulling like hell, the only time they give slack is the inside board on a hard turn.

No mine are custom made , 3 boards per unit , the slight bow would be the last couple feet where the waves hit the line at the attached point of the release and sometimes in the middle. Yes if the lake is like glass you get minimal sag. Sorry but if I am running a few coppers, I do get some sag , not constant ,even with the boards pulling " like hell " . My pulley is almost 9' above the waterline. Back to the lifting question, your fulcrum point is above the halfway mark of the height of the board and that will have create a tendency for the outside board to lift , helped along by larger waves that may have the board skipping along on the surface.  With 3 boards per unit and 2' wide, your attachment eye may be able to go up a bit more than halfway.

Edited by Bozeman Bob