Kicker charging output

Diversion

My 6 amp won’t keep up.  The amp rating is from higher rpm than what engine runs at trolling speed so you don’t see rated amps.  I put a trickle charger on to keep batteries fully charged.  Using high speed riggers and fishing deep take some juice.  When I update my kicker I’ll go for more amps.

My mercury 8hp charges two batteries while I troll, 4 electric cannons, depth finder, vhf, radio (motleycrew),lights, fish hawk, and auto pilot. I get home, plug the onboard charger in, fully charged in minutes. Have had the same batteries now 5yrs. For whatever it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So I guess the next question is how much juice do these new EFI kickers use on their own. The Tohatsu 9.9 is EFI and has 12A output. Aside from the benefits of EFI, I wonder if going that route is worth it.

Seems like 6A would be enough, just don't want to buy something and then wish i had gone with a different motor.

I'm not sure of what diffences there might be between the 12 amp and the 6 amp at slow speed input, but I was told by a couple of marine mechanics that the alternator is not putting out much juice to the battery at slow trolling speeds. and that max output is only when the motor is running quite fast..

I said it in a previous post; at trolling speed the amp output is around 1.5 for the one that has a 6 amp max output

I don’t know how much for the newer EFI with a 12 max output.

The alternator on the newer Mercur EFI output 12 amp and 145 watts so this is a major improvement.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/fourstroke/15-20-hp/#specifications

Edited by wallyandre

• 1 month later...

My tohatsu 9.8 doesn't even have an alternator. I troll from 630 am to noon with no problems. I have two deep cell batteries connected in parallel. I have everything: fish hawk, autopilot, lowrance FF, electric riggers. So far no problem with power.