Wanted First Mate Position

Anyone in need of a very good first mate for the upcoming fishing season? Available full-time or part-time whatever your needs are in the Oswego-Mexico-Pulaski area! Over 25 years of fishing experience on Lake Ontario including my own boat, mating for other captains and fishing tournaments with a number of local fishermen! References available upon request! Contact me at(315)200-9441 Wesley Lewis(aka waterweasel jr.) 

Edited by weaselwes2012
  • Like 1

A couple guys going fishing for sure.

Weaselwes.

Where is Mexico area, east end of the lake? I usually fish for Kings with a friend out of the Wilson area in his boat. I’d like to try my luck this year for kings in my own boat (2452 bay-liner hardtop).. I have all the equipment, not the expertise.. I’ve fished my old rig on Ontario for spring Browns and have had great success, I’m ready to try for Kings this year and having a coach on board sounds like a pretty good idea. So if you would be interested in something like that let me no?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

6 hours ago, reeldilemma33 said:

I think the only way he would need his captain license is if he was “training” people in his own boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Don't think I agree of he is accepting money he is going to need 1 of the 2 and probably a 6 pack

By the letter of the law taking money or compensation in any way would require a Captains license. This guy will get snapped up so we don't want him getting in hot water for a couple bucks.

There are a couple Capts down west that I know of that would go out on your vessel and set you straight for hire available around their schedules. PM if interested. 

By the letter of the law taking money or compensation in any way would require a Captains license. This guy will get snapped up so we don't want him getting in hot water for a couple bucks.
There are a couple Capts down west that I know of that would go out on your vessel and set you straight for hire available around their schedules. PM if interested. 

Good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Actually.........there are some errors in the posts above......so here are some clarifications..........

1.) If you are operating a boat, as a captain a six pack license or as it is called OUPV, Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel is required in all Coast Guard Patrolled Waters of which the Great Lakes and larger finger lakes are such.  This allows you your crew plus six paying passengers for fishing, charter or whatever you want to do.

2.) if you are hired to come on board a personal craft to help someone fish, a six pack license is not required, that would fall under the fishing guide licensing for New York State.

3.) If you are hired by a captain to work on their boat, he is doing so under his six pack license, and no license is required of you.  You are part of the crew and crew members on six pack charters are not required to be licensed in any way.

I would know because I researched this extensively, and I hold both the New York Fishing Guide License and the Six Pack OUPV Coast Guard Captains license.

In order to obtain a fishing guides license, it is not a complicated test but you need a bunch of knowledge of guiding, the laws etc and a simple search on the internet under the New York Guiding license program will give you the sum total of what you need to know....the test is proctored and done in sections you have to pass general, plus fishing, plus boating.....it is not complicated nor hard in my opinion.

The coast guard OUPV captains license is a long process that at best can be done in about 5 months, if you have the required documented experience hours, most people pay for a course, then you pass a proctored test, drug screen, background check through homeland, obtain a TWIC card, etc etc etc.....with the experience, buying a course, and moving quickly I did it in about 4 months at a cost of about 1K by the time you pay all the fees, and pay for a course (all online my choice).....Definitely learned a bunch in that process some of it useless for what I'm doing but most not.....There is also different classes of the license with the highest as Near Shore, meaning out to 100 miles off shore and all inland waters....but this is issued and defined based on your experience.  I strongly recommend the Mariners Learning System their program was relatively easy to use and I passed my testing with high scores the first time.

Hope that helps

2 hours ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

I will be in contact with you.. thank you.

1 hour ago, Lewis863 said:

Actually.........there are some errors in the posts above......so here are some clarifications..........

1.) If you are operating a boat, as a captain a six pack license or as it is called OUPV, Operator of an Uninspected Passenger Vessel is required in all Coast Guard Patrolled Waters of which the Great Lakes and larger finger lakes are such.  This allows you your crew plus six paying passengers for fishing, charter or whatever you want to do.

2.) if you are hired to come on board a personal craft to help someone fish, a six pack license is not required, that would fall under the fishing guide licensing for New York State.

3.) If you are hired by a captain to work on their boat, he is doing so under his six pack license, and no license is required of you.  You are part of the crew and crew members on six pack charters are not required to be licensed in any way.

I would know because I researched this extensively, and I hold both the New York Fishing Guide License and the Six Pack OUPV Coast Guard Captains license.

In order to obtain a fishing guides license, it is not a complicated test but you need a bunch of knowledge of guiding, the laws etc and a simple search on the internet under the New York Guiding license program will give you the sum total of what you need to know....the test is proctored and done in sections you have to pass general, plus fishing, plus boating.....it is not complicated nor hard in my opinion.

The coast guard OUPV captains license is a long process that at best can be done in about 5 months, if you have the required documented experience hours, most people pay for a course, then you pass a proctored test, drug screen, background check through homeland, obtain a TWIC card, etc etc etc.....with the experience, buying a course, and moving quickly I did it in about 4 months at a cost of about 1K by the time you pay all the fees, and pay for a course (all online my choice).....Definitely learned a bunch in that process some of it useless for what I'm doing but most not.....There is also different classes of the license with the highest as Near Shore, meaning out to 100 miles off shore and all inland waters....but this is issued and defined based on your experience.  I strongly recommend the Mariners Learning System their program was relatively easy to use and I passed my testing with high scores the first time.

Hope that helps

Thank You!

Hello Westley. Captain RICK Pecci of THE Dreams Come True Charters and Guide Service, Mexico NY. I may be interested as my regular mate may be moving on. I will know in the next few weeks. Please contact me at 315- 790-7412 And thanks.
And to everyone else that posted, you only need a Captains license if you are taking money for hire! If you and your friends get together to fish and they chip in for gas is a different matter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10 hours ago, reeldilemma33 said:

Then of course you could just volunteer to help him and hope that he tips well ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Exactly!!!   Ive gone onto a couple of guys boats to help them figure out a good program.  I never expect any $$$ though i do it plain and simply to help out.  There were a few guys who were there to help me when i started so now i just doing my part to help others.

• Like 3