I remove the trebles on all my stickbaits that have have three sets. If they have two I leave them on. An old
Captain told me to do this and ever since I’ve done it. Caught plenty of fish with them removed. I never did run one with all three next to one with the front one removed for a true test.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I leave them on , but cut off the one point that hangs downward on the front hook as its trolled. Helps keep the front hook from hanging up on bottom.

Edited by Sloooo Motion
added info

Some sticks are a lot more sensitive to weight changes than others so it pays to test them at the side of the boat so maybe just do one of each type to see the effect. Rapalas- especially the old ones or the solid ones rather than jointed seem more sensitive than a number of other stick types and I don't mess with them other than to make slight "tuning" changes if necessary.

I remove the trebles on all my stickbaits that have have three sets. If they have two I leave them on. An old
Captain told me to do this and ever since I’ve done it. Caught plenty of fish with them removed. I never did run one with all three next to one with the front one removed for a true test.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

X2. Been doing it for years and they run fine and they seem to catch just as many fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why would you do this?? Just for netting purposes. Not being a smart azz, just wondering??

I asked that same question when I was first told about it. The answer was three parts.

1. 99% of the fish caught on 3 treble lures were caught on the end/middle treble. Never on the front most

2. With nearly all hooked fish being on the middle/rear hook it leaves the front open and swinging around to get buried in your hand when handling fish

3. For netting purposes it just gets tangled

‘Bout Time
Mike

I was going to say, I wanted to replace hooks on some of the 3 hook lures I have, and our local bait shop owner fished bass tournaments so I thought he would know his shyt, he told me to make sure I put the same size hooks back on, on account the lure swims the way it did from factory. So I thought removing a hook would really upset the apple cart?? But I guess not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pap said:

I was going to say, I wanted to replace hooks on some of the 3 hook lures I have, and our local bait shop owner fished bass tournaments so I thought he would know his shyt, he told me to make sure I put the same size hooks back on, on account the lure swims the way it did from factory. So I thought removing a hook would really upset the apple cart?? But I guess not.

I remove the front hook on all my walleye cranks and also  change out the rear hook to a size 2.  I'm sure it changes the action somewhat but the walleye don't seem to care.

I asked that same question when I was first told about it. The answer was three parts.

1. 99% of the fish caught on 3 treble lures were caught on the end/middle treble. Never on the front most

2. With nearly all hooked fish being on the middle/rear hook it leaves the front open and swinging around to get buried in your hand when handling fish

3. For netting purposes it just gets tangled

‘Bout Time
Mike

And X2 Again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

21 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Three treble sticks I take all 3 off and put a single on the back. I'll also put split rings in the other two spots. This is how I do it for my bombers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What size split rings do you use? This question is for anyone who replaces trebles with split rings.