Planer program

Ok guys while I sit here watching the snow pile up outside I can help but dream about calm water and blue sky's which brings me to my program this year. I am planning in running big boards for the first time this year (probably primarily browns and eyes) anyone got any tips or tricks. One thing I haven't been able to come up with does the long (deep) line go inside it out (outside right?) I am looking at the clothes line with rubber band as that is only thing I have experience with. What's your preference and why? I'm all ears guys thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

think just like your dipsy, deep lines to the inside so the outside lines pass over the inside line when fish is on and steered to the stern of the boat. I've used the shower ring, but with a alligator clip permanently attached to the ring. On the alligator I had rubber tubing to cover the teeth. Then just a simple open the alligator, insert the line and out the tow line it goes. Just be sure to get a quick hand on the rod when you get a hit and reel like crazy to take up the slack. If you have 3 rods per say and mounted on a tree the outside line is on top, if rods are mounted in line on the gunnel, the rod farthest to the front is the outside, then it is easy to simply pick up hit rod and lift over the rods to the inside of the fish on rod. I love big boards! Its not hard to run 3 lines per side

• Like 1

think just like your dipsy, deep lines to the inside so the outside lines pass over the inside line when fish is on and steered to the stern of the boat. I've used the shower ring, but with a alligator clip permanently attached to the ring. On the alligator I had rubber tubing to cover the teeth. Then just a simple open the alligator, insert the line and out the tow line it goes. Just be sure to get a quick hand on the rod when you get a hit and reel like crazy to take up the slack. If you have 3 rods per say and mounted on a tree the outside line is on top, if rods are mounted in line on the gunnel, the rod farthest to the front is the outside, then it is easy to simply pick up hit rod and lift over the rods to the inside of the fish on rod. I love big boards! Its not hard to run 3 lines per side

Thanks for info. Im putting trees on can wait to try them out. Do you run cores/coppers on them? I'm hoping to get 2 rods per side to start.

long line to the out side just the opposite as running lead core or copper.Lance Valentine from walleye 101 go's into good detail of why, has a lot to do with how the line floats up. pick up copy or google his DVD crank bait crazy. has a lot of great info on mono on boards

• Like 1

long line to the out side just the opposite as running lead core or copper.Lance Valentine from walleye 101 go's into good detail of why, has a lot to do with how the line floats up. pick up copy or google his DVD crank bait crazy. has a lot of great info on mono on boards
Will check it out norm thanks.

Did I miss something or did you just get advice that was completely opposite of each other?? aint fishin grand?...lol
Love it lol. But there's 100000 ways to skin a cat just gotta find one that works for you....at least I hope

trees will work well with copper I run them on my smaller boat with copper, we run depending on what depth we want to get down to and how many people are on the boat. example 300 copper 200 copper, diver and rigger other side maybe 250 copper 150 diver and rigger.  

• Like 1

trees will work well with copper I run them on my smaller boat with copper, we run depending on what depth we want to get down to and how many people are on the boat. example 300 copper 200 copper, diver and rigger other side maybe 250 copper 150 diver and rigger.  
That's what I'm looking at running...

2 on board dipsy and rigger per side plus a chute rod if bored

Deeper deliveries on inside lines, longer but shallower on outside.  For leadcore I use line counter reels so I can keep track of distance back so not to violate that principal.  For two per side, I might run a 5 color on the outside and a seven or eight color on the inside.  The five color will be let out further to extend 10' beyond the inside line.  Mark on each reel the distance to the end of the leader to make it easy.  The inside line gets let out + say 20' of backing so the knot is in the water.  The outside line is set out + say 70' of backing to extend beyond the inside bait.  You could put a leadcore on the outside line and a copper on the inside line.  Same with divers.  A mag dipsy on the inside line and a standard dipsy or a slide diver on the outside diver.

• Like 1

stoneam most people think when you run, say mono back off a board to a crank bait the line will go down. if you are running 100 feet back about 60 feet will be near the surface then down to the bait. so of you run say the longest line inside next  shortest  and last shortest  like we do for copper the outside line will come in to the longest line not go over top like you would think. if your running copper or lead core then yes deeper longer line to the inside.

Edited by Norm Moser
  • Like 2