25 minutes ago, NPike said:

BTW yes you can launch a canoe at the south end. But it's not permitted during the "walleye-pike" run - spawn.

Are you saying you cant access the lake with a canoe there once the spawn starts? I have never heard that. 

During spawning any boating activity at the mouth of the creek at the south and or in the creek itself is forbidden to prevent interference with the spawning of pike - walleye. However people can fish from shore strictly for bullhead.

1 hour ago, NPike said:

During spawning any boating activity at the mouth of the creek at the south and or in the creek itself is forbidden to prevent interference with the spawning of pike - walleye. However people can fish from shore strictly for bullhead.

I never heard that before.  Thanks good to hear. 

There’s a decent hand launch and parking area at the south end of Otisco as well. I’ve caught a couple there this time of year. There is also a small parking area at the north end but you have drag your boat a ways

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, old man said:

I’ve been out on the last day before in a canoe and more recently in my yak. There are a lot of fish around then. Getting them to eat is another story.

This what the other people "to observer spawn" and fisherman have told me when I've been down to observe the spawn  phenomena. Never seen a canoe or whatever in there during the spawn, but have seen DEC officials sniffing around during the sawn at south end?

I go there every year to watch the spawning run. I’ve seen DEC guys there keeping an eye on things. And I’ve seen pinheads fishing in the inlet near the dam after the season closed.

Maybe it is after Mar. 15th when pike and walleye season closes till the 1st Sat. in May when they are spawning. I think it is the same in all pike and walleye spawning creeks such as the Conesus inlet and those around Oneida Lake. And then those that are inland trout waters would be different.

Edited by muskiedreams