What Leadcore For Lake Ontario?

Todd in NY

What brand and weight LC do you guys use for Lake O walleye, as well as Oneida walleye? I'll be using the same rods and reels for both lakes this year so I need one size that fits all. The LC rods might even get used for salmon. I was planning to run a 2 color rod and maybe a 4 or 5 color, with braid backing and a floro leader. I've never used LC before so I need your input and advice. Thanks!

I like 27 lb. Could not say what best brand is. I always try and buy 200 yd spools,gives me more options on how much to put on reels.  We use 27 lb on Ontario and Erie. Catches  lots o fish!!

• Like 2

If you want versatility you could always go with a segmented 10 color. I have a lot of luck on Oneida in the summer with 3-5 colors. I actually use a line counter and run whatever # of colors I want down the chute. Oneida eyes aren’t huge so I’ve never had a problem with stopping anywhere on the lead. Wouldn’t do that with boards or Ontario fish though.

I also use microlead or 832 on Oneida but wouldn’t recommend it for Ontario in the summer because it’s thinner and picks up a lot of fleas.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

27lb Tuf-line micro lead. It lasts a lot longer because the sheath is spectra and won’t rot or absorb water. Thinner diameter allows for smaller reel size. For knots you pull out 5” of lead and tie a trilene knot to backing or leader. Burn knot ends with a lighter and zero frays. 

Edited by Gill-T