Seneca Seneca Lake National Lake Trout Derby $10,000 1st

I just got my brochure in the mail. May 26,27 and 28th. PH number for questions is 315 789 5520.

I think the website is www.laketroutderby.org     please correct me if wrong.

A message to the people who run this. PM me I would like more brochures to spread around.

Yea Im the guy that won this last year, I plan on winning again this year. 10 thousand sweet.

Might even buy some new fishing string.Well best of luck to all and

let the b--busting begin.

they definitely going to need more turn out to cover bigger prizes ... i see on the derby application the great city of Geneva is no longer having the weight in station . like to know more about that . 

Last year was the last nail in the coffin, will be fishing Lake Ontario this year during the derby.... if memory serves me right we fished 4 days and only caught 5 fish..... the lake is dying, good luck to all that do enter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

10 minutes ago, final flight said:

Last year was the last nail in the coffin, will be fishing Lake Ontario this year during the derby.... if memory serves me right we fished 4 days and only caught 5 fish..... the lake is dying, good luck to all that do enter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

yeah my buddies pretty much said the same thing ( rather stay home and watch the grass grow ) but what i say old habits die hard ....

Kinda interseting....the differences of perspective and opinion.  I've fished the derby for most of the years that it has been in existance with varied succcess and placing in the money a bunch of times over the years, being knocked down of major places by 1/100 of a pound a couple times (a bit frustrating:lol:) but I have never considered the derby a time for trying to catch the most fish. I 've always looked at it as a matter of trying to catch the biggest fish and that is what makes it fun as timing also plays a great part. I used to fish days before the derby to figure things out but after catching fish that would have won it both before and after a couple derbies I quit fishing beforehand as it seemed to spoil the "suspense" factor for me. Yes the numbers of fish caught seem to have dropped off significantly over the last few years but I also remember back in the1970's when it took about 6 or more hours to catch a legal sized trout and it made us fish a lot harder and put in longer hours but we also learned a lot during that time as you were forced to try new things and  think things out more completely....it was a challenge. That is how I view the current situation...it is an opportunity for learning and a challenge. The folks that have put together this years derby have worked hard to revitalize it and keep things going and add some excitement to it by signiificantly increasing the prize. I applaude them for doing it and I for one would support this derby whether i was able to actually fish it or not. There may not be the numbers of fish available as in some years in the past but someone is going to catch the largest of the fish caught and they will happily return home $10,000 richer for it and have some fun in the process. I guess it is just a matter of perspective....

Edited by Sk8man

Well said Les, change is good as well and who knows, the new area at Stivers for the ceremony might be 10 times more conducive in bringing the derby group together as a whole thus starting a richer culture for future derbies. Always thought of seeing the ceremony as a celebration vs get your award and that’s it. As far as fishing, yep it gets frustrating no doubt, change in tactics will be in order for many. Like you said, someone will catch the largest fish and take home a chunk of change.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have fished this for the last 4 years and have had good and bad days but that's fishing. If it was easy they would call it catching and everyone would do it. Looking forward to this year and hope more people are too. I think all of the waters in NY are changing in some way or another from the zebra mussels to the gobies so adapting to the changes is the real challenge.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

19 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

A $10,000 payout might get me to drag the Escape down from Ontario and chase some Seneca lakers! 

I was going to sign up, but seeing what I am up against now, I might reconsider that rash decision.

1 hour ago, Frogger said:

Oh no, look out, I think in the rules sheet it said somewhere no spin n glows can be used...... lol, honestly it would be cool Brian.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess I will have to go back to dragging peanut rigs around!  My buddy Keith has a 19' Seanymph we rigged up for trolling. Seeing that there are not any tournaments going on up here that weekend, I might seriously head down there! 

Yeah it also says somewhere that if your genetic makeup is more than half lake trout you aren't permitted to enter....guess that might leave you out of the derby Brian :lol:

6 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Yeah it also says somewhere that if your genetic makeup is more than half lake trout you aren't permitted to enter....guess that might leave you out of the derby Brian :lol:

Just because I have digestive issues does not mean I am part Lake Trout Les!  :lol:

Sk8man you should be writing for a magazine somewhere.I would imagine a lot of the Lake Ontario boys will be coming down for the derby .I was getting frustrated on Lake Ontario after fishing there 15yrs. I had a place at Hughes and the fishing just seemed to be declining every year ,dam east wind every weekend,100mile one way drive, lawn to mow etc. So I came back to the fingerlakes a couple yrs ago.Smaller fish but a lot easier to catch.The bite may slow down for awhile but I do not think Ive been skunked in the last couple years.

I hear ya Stan.... I still fish Lake O and the Fingers and out of Hughes as well and you're rightat least you can usually find a place to hide or reduced the wind on the Fingers and it has always been my favorite place to be regardless of lake fished but the kings are also very addictive:lol:. We'll have to dig deep in our old school bags of tricks with these guys coming:lol:

5 hours ago, Roys Boys said:

From what I hear Geneva doesn't want anything to do with it.. weigh in is at the tiki bar at Seneca marine

Are they still doing a weigh in at Geneva, Watkins and Sampson as it says in the derby rules? There is no mention of a weigh in at Seneca marine, just the awards ceremony.  

1 hour ago, Heath said:

Paperwork I got and posted on here says weigh station in Geneva.. Watkins Glen ..and Sampson State Park

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i do see in the rules you put up on the post above says Geneva as a weight in station , so went and got mine app.on the front  cover it says weight in as stivers, sampson, clute park .so it would be my guess is they took a part of the old forms when the made up the new  forms ..