More kicker motor questions - tiller or remote

vetting

So I think I settled on a Yamaha T9.9  - should I be looking for a tiller or full remote?  Id put an itroll on it and connect it to my main I/O.  Boat is a 1989 Cobia Cuddy Cabin 

cce88f136a75e76a05ee25652ae94354ae84d1a1.jpg

There is a kicker bracket that has a remote steering motor on it. The control is a hand held fob where when you are fishing alone you can stand in the stern area, handle your lines and steer your boat. It is best to operate down wind. 

I have a Raymarine SPX-5 EV200 autopilot.  Its the one that turns the actual wheel.  Just hope it can still turn the wheel ok without the power steering pump running.  Will probably also add an iTroll for speed control for the kicker.  If I go with the iTroll right away, couldnt I technically go with a tiller if I find a good deal on one?  Or are there going to be issues with the tiller getting in the way when you tilt the motor?

Edited by vetting

If you get a tiller, you have to mount so the handle does not get in the way (if your leaving it on, but its not the way to do it), you have to make sure you can start it with the handle being "up" and that it doesn't interfere with the throttle control or the shifting. Normally with a tiller, you take the tiller off completely, and hook the controls up to the front of the boat for throttle and shift, and add the Itroll on top of that. you will still need to go back and manually operate the choke to start it, if you go that route

PK

It depends on where you want to be in your boat when you  need to control the kicker.  

I wanted to be able to control everything from the rear deck, next to the riggers and rods, when I'm trolling so I went with a tiller on my 25' Penn Yan.

I also set it up so I can easily reach the tiller controls over the transom without leaning over to far.  Actually the only time I need to reach the tiller is when I drop the motor, start it and put it in gear.  I use a Trollmaster for the throttle and a TR1 gold for an auto pilot and the controls are right where I stand watching the rods.  I went with the TR! because I was concerned about trying to steer the main I/O when the power steering wasn't  running like Hawkeye said.

If your transom design and kicker mount make is too difficult to reach a tiller control or if you're usually up by the wheel  when trolling I would definitely go with remote controls.  

TR-1 is your answer. Its expensive but you'll be soooo happy! I've had it on 2 different boats. If you buy from a place out of state its no sales tax and saves alot. I reccomend Calumet Marine in Chicago area. There tech help was great over the phone so I could do my own install. Also did on the water programming and calibration with tech help on the phone.

Take the time to search out trolling motor steering and throttle control to make an informed decision on your purchase. There are several types out there available. Also there are videos on installation you may want to learn from.

Edited by jimski2

I just replaced my kicker last August with a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke (my forth one in 25 years) Had remote on all but one. I never saw the need for an aftermarket throttle control. I can dial in any speed needed with the Yamaha shifter.

I guess I could also switch to hydraulic steering and then continue to use my SPX-5 with the main motor off.  Any tips/costs estimates switching over to hydraulic - Morse column right now with the typical Alpha 1 power steering ram.