Time to slow down and think

Hi Guys;

First, it’s been a long spring. I wish everyone on this site a safe trouble-free year and full boxes. Hands down, the best site of its kind.

Personally, not much fishing for me this year. On New Years Day has a stroke and a heart attack. Almost died. My two sons saved my life. Suddenly, things like legacies take on new and significant meaning. Give your families hugs and tell them you love them. You just never know.

All the best. Dan Watkin (Tincandan)

• Like 3

Glad you came through it Dan. Get your self back to health and fishing can be real good therapy (for whatever ails anyone):)

Hey Dan, I don't know if this applies, but my wife runs research trials at URMC using computer based retraining to help stroke victims who have subsequently impaired vision. I know that PT often ignores the visual system, but its loss can really impact quality of life. Feel free to shoot me a pm. This goes for anyone on here or their loved ones; she's always recruiting and has seen some phenomenal success, in fact they're starting a large scale clinical trial soon.

Keep on keeping on!

I was no where near death but a bad enough accident that I know where your coming from Dan, I look at life at a whole different angle from then on. I wish you your health because without that you have have nothing. Best of wishes PAP. I can tell you years of recovery this site was my sanity, until my family got home.:yes: :yes:!!!!

Edited by pap
  • Like 1

Your story is all too common and brings to mind another important thing people don't think about enough when it comes to their own health and mortality and that's protecting your family with adequate life insurance.  One of my biggest challenges as an insurance agent over the last 25 years is getting people(usually younger men) to see the value in life insurance to protect their family if something happens.  So many people think it won't happen to them, don't make the right plans and leave their wife and kids or husband and kids holding the bag with a mortgage and no income on the heels of major loss.  Once you have and luckily survive a medical event like you just went through you can't get coverage and that's a lesson learned the hard way for many.  Good luck to you and hopefully you can get some fishing in this summer under the right circumstances.  

20 hours ago, tincandan said:

Thanks to everyone for replying. The power of a few well chosen words is amazing.

Ill do my best to rehab.

I live almost on the shores of Lake St. Clair in Tecumseh.Front doors always open for you guys!!

Whatever you do listen to the rehab ladies and men, and be faithful with the rehab. I was basically in two pieces just my outer skin and spinal cord holding me together all else was crushed, they rebuilt my spine, put my guts back in place and taught me to walk again after 2 10hrs surgeries and 1 5hrs surgery, the rehab was hard, somewhat painful, I kept telling myself no pain no gain. The rehab I can’t stress how important that is and it will “Dictate” what or how you will be able to go or do. There will be days that you feel you can’t go another step, force yourself to take that step. The therapist told my wife to bring my twin daughters along and put them at the end of whatever challenge I had to overcome that day, it works wonders when you can see what your working for. Keep your head up and never say never, with the new science today the sky is the limit!!! Good luck take care!! Pm me if ever need just to talk, seriously!!! PAP.

Whatever you do listen to the rehab ladies and men, and be faithful with the rehab. I was basically in two pieces just my outer skin and spinal cord holding me together all else was crushed, they rebuilt my spine, put my guts back in place and taught me to walk again after 2 10hrs surgeries and 1 5hrs surgery, the rehab was hard, somewhat painful, I kept telling myself no pain no gain. The rehab I can’t stress how important that is and it will “Dictate” what or how you will be able to go or do. There will be days that you feel you can’t go another step, force yourself to take that step. The therapist told my wife to bring my twin daughters along and put them at the end of whatever challenge I had to overcome that day, it works wonders when you can see what your working for. Keep your head up and never say never, with the new science today the sky is the limit!!! Good luck take care!! Pm me if ever need just to talk, seriously!!! PAP.

And you already have told us you have "things" in your life worth pushing for. Again, best of luck on the recovery !