help with differences in Lowrance MFD

chowder

the main difference is the dual processor that the carbon has. if you have a chirp ducer that has low and high frequencies the carbon can display both at the same time. the  screen is better for viewing in the sunlight too.

I'd also go with the Gen3 and if I had a couple grand in my budget I'd get 2 of them instead of the carbon, one for sonar and the other for charts/radar.

Much easier to see a full screen from the back of the boat than having a split screen.

Andy if it were me I'd go with wallyandre's advice as he knows more about these units thann many of the techs at Lowrance.

1 hour ago, mudflat said:

I'd also go with the Gen3 and if I had a couple grand in my budget I'd get 2 of them instead of the carbon, one for sonar and the other for charts/radar.

Much easier to see a full screen from the back of the boat than having a split screen.

That's exactly what my plan was. New boat has one hds 9 now which I'll use for thru hull and I am going to add a new hds 9 + 3G radar ( with a heading sensor). Boat is I/O w/ a Simrad ap so no need for the Lowrance pilot. 

And if you were to get an outboard pilot, it comes with the point 1 you need for your radar overlay.

Nevermind...I see your response now...

Edited by Tyee II

If you have any $ left over look at a Navico Xsonic TM150m transducer.

With a Gen-3 this will give you medium chirp for about $300.  With an ethernet network you can share transducers between your units.

I'm adding one this year to go along with my B-60 50/200 thru hull, I think Wallyandre already has one, maybe he'll give us a review. 

4 hours ago, mudflat said:

If you have any $ left over look at a Navico Xsonic TM150m transducer.

With a Gen-3 this will give you medium chirp for about $300.  With an ethernet network you can share transducers between your units.

I'm adding one this year to go along with my B-60 50/200 thru hull, I think Wallyandre already has one, maybe he'll give us a review. 

This is the one right? https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Navico-Xsonic-Tm150m-Transom-Mount-Transducer-p/nco000-13944-001.htm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chowder said:

That's the one, you would also need the 9 pin to 7 pin cable adapter to connect it to your HDS. 

This is fun spending someone else's money, can I also come drill some holes in your new boat?

Edited by mudflat

27 minutes ago, mudflat said:

That's the one, you would also need the 9 pin to 7 pin cable adapter to connect it to your HDS. 

This is fun spending someone else's money, can I also come drill some holes in your new boat?

What would be even more exciting than coming to the farm and drilling holes in my boat would be to offer to help Hank drill some holes in my boat. Then I could enjoy the bill he'd send me for your 'help', and enjoy the trip up to bail him out of jail, and maybe visit you in the hospital (LOL) In all seriousness though I really do appreciate you and Wally helping me get a handle on how these devices need to be interconnected and what parts are required. There seems to be a  lot of 'fine print' to the term 'plug n play'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2018 at 6:05 PM, wallyandre said:

Yes I'm running a TM-150 and it's very good. Excellent target separation. Some people complain about loosing bottom when cruising but I have found a solution for that: I just use a fix frequency when moving fromspot to spot. I use 115degr.

How did you connect the TM150 to your HDS? Did you use an adaptor to go to the 7 pin sonar port, or use the 9 pin airmar right into the structure port? 

I picked one up and it appears to be the same connection as my totalscan ducer, but I see they sell a couple different adaptors...

Okay, thanks. The one I bought from Hodges has the 9 pin, but they have a 9 pin airmar to 7 pin unit adaptor. I just ordered that because I tried connecting to the structure port and couldn't find the TM150 as an option in the sonar installation menu. Hopefully it will recognize the transducer if I connect to the 7 pin port?