Do I have this right?

More or less, yes.

45# copper will sink about 22' per 100' out, more or less. It varies greatly with speed and whether you're pulling a spoon or a paddle/fly combo. It's not uncommon to have 600' of 45# copper pulling a fly touch bottom in 135FOW when its on the inside of a slow turn. One of the great qualities with copper is that it rises and falls in the water column and adds some extra action to the lure.

When you're using 30# wire line with a standard sized dipsy set on a #2, it's about a 3:1 ratio, so yes 150' out would get you down about 50 ft. Last weekend we had our Walker Deeper Diver set on a #2 and out 270ft and I trolled us into 90 FOW and it instantly hit bottom. So the Deeper Divers work at pretty close to the same ratio as the Dipsy Divers.

dhp im a idiot but your response makes us brothers.... when we say wire its with a dypsy hooked to it, copper you just let out like a flatline and when you get a fish you just reel, reel, reel ,,,, reel and reel and just like that its in the boat.the best thing is to invite me to fish those strippers off the coast and ill fill you in on the details(forget rod he'll steal your plug)

Rick,

You run copper like you would leadcore...down the chute or off a planer board off to the side. It's it's own deployment device and achieves depth on its own without a diving aid.

Wire is just the type of line that we run dipsys off of. It's not something you'd just let out to try and achieve any sort of depth with it. It allows you to go a lot deeper with a dipsy a than you can get with mono line plus it has no stretch so you can get the dipsy to release when it's down way deep. The dipsy is the deployment device and is a directional diver. Very few of us run them down the chute, altho some guys say they do. There's just too much stuff down there (riggers) that can get in the way in my opinion. They're best when run off to a side out and away from your riggers and other stuff that you have off the back of the boat (leadcore, copper).

Thanks Guys

I guess I didn’t phrase question the way I was thinking it.

If you know what I mean.

I guess what I was asking in part two of the question is why cant you run the wire off the back off the back of the boat without a dipsy?

You see I was typing without thinking. The wire doesn’t have the weight the copper has to bring it down.

Got it now

That what happens when you are working and trying to think fishing.

You can run wire behind the boat using a large weight, that is what a thumper rig is. Each of these different presentations (copper, wire dipsy, downrigger, lead core, etc) has a different signature or personality if you will as it moves through the water, copper and lead core sometimes catch fish simply because the bait is presented so far away from the boat and the rest of the lines, it isn't strictly about depth is what I am trying to say.

the best thing is to invite me to fish those strippers off the coast and ill fill you in on the details(forget rod he'll steal your plug)

Ray...consider yourself invited, but I'm going along as well :devil: I may even leave my boat at Sandy Hook for a few weeks this fall.

Rick....Bill gave you great answers. All of these wire set-ups (wire dipsey,copper, thumper) are unique to themselves, and each has it's own presentation and will hit the pocket at different times. Copper is the only one I would consider stealth. If you run all three at the same time along with your riggers and you were to set them up so they all ran @ 100 ft deep, the first through is obviously the rigger, then comes the thumper, with the dipsies close behind (depending on the setting) but off to the sides. All of these create a good deal of commotion, which will often pull some fish into your spread. If all that fails to trigger a bite, along comes the copper rig once everything else is gone. I call it the silent killer.

I think the copper will often take the less aggressive fish that pass on the commotion created by the riggers and dipsies.