Get some ginger. Take it a half hour before going on the water. The stuff you chew that is mixed with sugar works better than the capsules. Ginger tea also works for some folks.

I do know that they make something called "sea bands" that are elastic and worn on the wrists.  They use  accupressure to keep you from getting sea/air sick.  My wife uses them all the time.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1

X3 on the Sea Bands. I carry 2 sets on my boat and unlike the others that need to be taken ahead of time they'll work even if you put them on after you're sick. I myself have never had to use them but those on my boat that have always had great results. 

Both Bonine and Dramamine can cause drowsiness and you do have to consider their interaction with other medications you may be taking and it is possible to overdose on them if taken in other than the prescribed dosages according to the literature on them.

• Like 1

I used to get sick a lot but have found relief if I 1) don’t drink coffee (caffeine) on a fishing day 2) drive the boat to and from the trolling area (always bring a driver for trolling) 3) stay standing 4) watch the horizon and rod tips 5) stay active on the boat (run the downriggers and set the lines and hooks) 6) don’t look at the boat floor very often and 7) save the big meal for after the fishing trip. Having multiple rods set up ahead of time with back-ups helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Get a prescription from your doctor for Meclizine.  Its what they prescribe for vertigo (an inner ear issue that causes dizziness and nausea and is related to motion sickness)  I used to get bad sick especially when tying knots or trying to work out tangles.

Haven't had any problems since I started taking this and no side effects.   Its also cheap, costs $3 for 30 on my insurance. 

8 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Get some ginger. Take it a half hour before going on the water. The stuff you chew that is mixed with sugar works better than the capsules. Ginger tea also works for some folks.

X2 on the ginger root I use to use the capsules, you can take as many as you need too. I used 2 to start & then more if needed.  I also used the wrist bands but the only thing I found them good for was to wipe the puke off my face!  Didn't work for me.  all Dramamine did for me was delay the puking until the next day along with a head ache.

Edited by lineman49

I feel for you brother. Same here

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's rough but the Dramamine works pretty good for me tying knots any length of time gets bad but manageable...but don't go into the cuddy lol

Hope you find something that works for you. I think I saw a patch once that goes behind your ear too.

Bracelets seem like they might be worth the chance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I went on a charter with Jim on Erie eye charter and it was pretty bump and ended up raining pretty good. I stood on the back deck in the rain. Forgot my Dramamine and was first time I experienced the big water and what comes with it. The lou all was real bad for me last year too lol. But it's sooooo worth it.....

While with Jim he got me to snack a little to try and help it. I think it does nothing to much but some snacking (may just take the mind off it?)

Aaron -  Taking multiple doses of Dramamine can mess you up and can be dangerous. The reason I suggested ginger or ginger root is that it is a natural substance and usually works well for most folks. I have seen it work out on the ocean in 6-8 footers on charters and on Lake O as well and for kids and elderly on whale watches for example. Maybe the combination of the wrist band approach and the ginger is something to try. At least to my knowledge they don't have the potential side effects the other stuff may have.

• Like 1

The patch is a prescription and pricey at that.  Got a buddy that uses them and they work for him.  He says sometimes they make him see double.  No wonder he's always telling people he catches twice as many fish as me:lol:

• Like 1

Aaron -  Taking multiple doses of Dramamine can mess you up and can be dangerous. The reason I suggested ginger or ginger root is that it is a natural substance and usually works well for most folks. I have seen it work out on the ocean in 6-8 footers on charters and on Lake O as well and for kids and elderly on whale watches for example. Maybe the combination of the wrist band approach and the ginger is something to try. At least to my knowledge they don't have the potential side effects the other stuff may have.
Where do I find it in the vitamin isle or so? You said the kind you chew vs the capsule so you just chew on it a few times a day or so?

I'll give it a shot never been steered wrong here.