The patch is a prescription and pricey at that.  Got a buddy that uses them and they work for him.  He says sometimes they make him see double.  No wonder he's always telling people he catches twice as many fish as me[emoji38]
Lol....i didn't know it was prescription good to know.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah,  its by prescription only.  About $25 a piece.  They're about the size of a dime and you stick them behind your ear.  They are good for 3 days.  Of course thats cheap compared to puking for 8 hrs.  I still prefer the meclizine.  it works. 

I think in Wegmans it is in the bulk or bulk candy section maybe and various forms of it can be found in most natural food places. The capsules can be found in most vitamin sections in stores.The stuff you chew is like candy and has sugar added and once chewed it is strongly spicey (kinda hot) but it settles your stomach. I think the capsules work too but not as immediately.

i fished with a guy from work that would take dramamine and drink a large energy drink. he said it work for him . my good buddy that i fish with now is hit and miss . so when i know its going to be rough i offer him non drowsy dramamine witch he won't take and at times he ends up blowing his chocolate milk and cookie over the rail. sometimes he can heck it out other times i have to call it a day and bring him in . i was always lucky high/ bad water didn't bother me . as i got old and on meds now i sometimes get vertigo so i don't take the meds until after fishing for the day . i never heard of the sea bands . i looked them up and going to get a couple sets . i'm sure my buddy wont try them as he is a manly man and rather puke ..:lol:

Edited by fisherdude

I feel so sorry for those that get sea sick....although on dive boats in the pacific I used to watch guys roll out of the rack go to the galley and order up tons of greasy bacon sausage etc. i would grab a water and a bagel go sit up on the top deck and lay bets on who would feed the fishes first... a dive buddy once puked into his regulator and was so sick on a beach dive it turned into a rescue for me.....(last time i went diving with him). my son suffers from it and the sea bands work well for him there is a pressure point they push on that can be effective. What you eat and drink the night before and morning of, can have an effect...no alcohol the night before or day of, yes the patch works well for many it is a dermal absorption of the same type of thing dramamine does. Keeping the brain active on a project, driving the boat staying out in the air seems to help him...if your boat has a Below....dont go there... stay in the area of the boat with least movement if not driving...center stern... eat lightly breads, ginger, ginger-ale all known to help settle stomachs. Focusing on horizon helps the brain to reconcile the motions the ear is detecting ...two in my family suffer from it and three are bullet proof...so i feel for ya

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

From what I understand there are multiple origins of sea sickness or ways in which it can develop including everything from the little stones in the inner ear being misaligned or "jiggled", loss of the view of the horizon, the up and down or back and forth  movement of the boat in waves, an empty stomach or eating a large meal right before venturing out on the water. It suggests that the stomach, inner ear and brain may be involved in an interrelated way so different things may work depending on the person and specific conditions. I have never been actually sick although when younger I once felt "queasy" after a bet where I had to chug a beer on an empty stomach before7 Am after catching the first fish of the day while in the channel at Sodus.....don't think it had anything to do with my inner ear though....sure had something to do with my brain:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Lol bad choices aside.... it is a difference between what the inner ear says is happening in the environment and what the brain says is happening through other inputs like vision...that causes a general feeling of unwellness.... then add to that the booze and food choices and those with normally hearty constitution are reduced to blubbering puking wrecks...
And it seems that certain people are just more prone to motion sickness both my wife and son can get it on a windy road if not focusing outside car......

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I think in Wegmans it is in the bulk or bulk candy section maybe and various forms of it can be found in most natural food places. The capsules can be found in most vitamin sections in stores.The stuff you chew is like candy and has sugar added and once chewed it is strongly spicey (kinda hot) but it settles your stomach. I think the capsules work too but not as immediately.

Sure now you tell me Les, I went in to produce at Wegmans and have been chewing the root all morning. I feel sick lol. Honestly I’ve had the feeling, as others will say, don’t wish it on your worst enemy. Anything > 3ft on Ontario I’m the driver. Seneca can be a 20mph south and I’m fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes the wave (Rollers) characteristics seem to have something to do with it Bob knows what I'm talking about  sometimes he resembles an electric trolling motor hanging over the  front on his own boat and we've had to get him back to port :lol:.....I shouldn't laugh as it really isn't funny if you're the one it happens to. The tea cup ride at Roseland in the old days used to give me a feel for it:)

On 3/7/2018 at 8:53 PM, VooDoo said:

Get a prescription from your doctor for Meclizine.  Its what they prescribe for vertigo (an inner ear issue that causes dizziness and nausea and is related to motion sickness)  I used to get bad sick especially when tying knots or trying to work out tangles.

Haven't had any problems since I started taking this and no side effects.   Its also cheap, costs $3 for 30 on my insurance. 

Over the counter "Bonine" IS Meclizine.....

So just my 2 cents seen alot of people get sick back in my tuna fishing days and we would not go in if someone got sick. So once someone started feeling sick i would make them eat just a plain sandwich nothing fancy works every time . Just be ready because they will argue with you over it but just tell them if they dont and they get sick your not going back in . Now i have to figure out how to keep my beagle from getting sea sick . lol

Sea bands that go on your wrist work great for wiping the puke off your chin. Ginger will make your puke taste better. Non drowsy motion sickness medicine will make your puke taste like medicine. Get the drowsy and take it like the directions tell you for a couple days it will not bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I just buy straight ginger root from the produce department. Slice off a sliver and chew on it. Just the juice will actually cure seasickness for me. Even after the onset of seasickness it works and usually once I get sick the only cure is getting my feet on land (until I started using ginger root).

You will be surprised how well it works and I never head out on the big lake anymore without some ginger root in my pocket. Ginger ale seems to help prevent the onset for me as well.