Worm Harness Poll

Todd in NY

Worm Harness For Lake Ontario Walleye?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use worm harnesses for Lake Ontario Walleye?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Sometimes there not into a slow action, then I pump up the speed and use shallow divers and either get a reaction bite or that’s what their looking for. Switching out colors shapes and sizes till I get something going on. Still if not getting bit I’ll slide out a little deeper and give that a go. I took way more eyes of lures than harnesses, but they can be leathal right after the spawn, for sure, so I don’t leave the dock without them.

Edited by pap

I haven’t fished Ontario main lake for eyes but I use to fish bay of Quinn a lot. I always started with mostly sticks and spoons. If that isn’t working I’ll slow down and go to worm harness.

The reason I try sticks and spoons first is they can be fished a lot faster with less hassle and you catch less junk.

If I still can’t get bit on harnesses I’ll go stealth with light lite line and a slow death at drifting speeds.

If that doesn’t work and I’m on Erie I’ll go deep 100 fow + for a few lakers. Or go find a mud flat for some perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Every time I try harnesses I spend more time rebaiting the hook, or removing the goodies from it. Worms, slow, on or near bottom. Sounds like gobie city. I hear if guys doing well with harnesses in ELO. I am sure they have their technique dialed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 3/8/2018 at 9:28 PM, guffins fisherman said:

Every time I try harnesses I spend more time rebaiting the hook, or removing the goodies from it. Worms, slow, on or near bottom. Sounds like gobie city. I hear if guys doing well with harnesses in ELO. I am sure they have their technique dialed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I dont get bait any closer than 2ft when gobies are around,have you had any luck with plastic on harneses?

I saw on madrivertapes, and I ordered a few they have 2o/z bottom bouncers with a 3ft ticker, may be able to keep the gobies away with those. I was actually thinking about making my own but for 2 or 3 I’ll they theirs first.

I’ve had luck with harnesses in the spring bite, along with plastic worms in the bay areas, one of the early MWC tourney winners ran large silver blades and I mimicked the same rig for some fish, but that was a few years ago and water quality has changed since.

7 hours ago, Roughrider IV said:

I’ve had luck with harnesses in the spring bite, along with plastic worms in the bay areas, one of the early MWC tourney winners ran large silver blades and I mimicked the same rig for some fish, but that was a few years ago and water quality has changed since.

Oh yea, before the lake got infested with those damn clams, when the water wasn’t crystal clear, if weren’t pulling harnesses you weren’t catching eyes. Everyone that I know went to Fay’s over in Watertown and loaded up with those Walleye Delights in chartreuse green/orange and blue/silver spinner, bodies, and a couple dozen night crawlers and you were in business.

Edited by pap
  • Like 1