need advice which speed and temp unit to buy

bub

• 3 weeks later...

The first one I had was a cannon. I had to exchange it in at Cabela's 3 times, and it never worked right. So I went to the depth raider and I love it. People out here do not understand the purpose of it . But it's puts me right in the zone here

• 5 months later...

I'm looking to buy either the Depth Raider or the Sub Troll from Cabelas. Sub troll claims that their analog reading is much more steady than the digital readouts. Does the digital reading of the Depth Raider jump around? I've seen so many digital "paddle wheel" type surface speed indicators, that jump around so much, they are useless. Also, Sub troll claims that their paddle wheel has much more surface area and will work at much slower speeds. I often troll as slow as 1.0 or slower for lakers when using bait. How does the Depth Raider do at slow speeds?

Fish Hawk (new X4). here is what I have read and heard from guys that have used it: No coated cable, don't have to take original cable off of riggers, reads to 300', can be used on any rigger in the boat, smaller probe, epoxy coated internal electronics, runs all season on 4 AA batteries. I just purchased the new probe to use with my 840 unit. If the new probe was not compatable with my old unit and the new X4 did not come out, I would go with the Depth Raider.

I'm leaning towards the DR myself. I'd just like to hear from someone that it works well at slow speeds like in the 1.0 range. Subtroll claims theirs works better for this due to the bigger paddle wheel. They say the smaller wheels just don't turn as well at slow speeds. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for the input on the Sub Troll's. I still would like to hear if anyone has any info about using the Depth Raider at slow speed if anyone has experience with it. Also, it looks like the coated cable actually rides through the entenna on the Sub Troll. I assume the DR is similar? How will the auto stop clips on my Scotty's slide through these? It looks like they wouldn't. Is that what the optional antenna that Sub Troll offers is for?

Mickey Finn,

If you have a Scotty DR with the autostop clips you need a different antenna than the stock spring antenna (it replaces the spring antenna and has a larger opening) from Moor. Their customer service is fantastic and you can get it in a few days.

gx50z90.jpg

-Chris

Has anyone had any problems with the Sub Troll or Depth Raider interfering with your compass? I've got limitted space but I do have room enough for either one but if I went with the Sub Troll, it would be very near my compass. I've got to make a decision soon on this. I've got a $20 Cabelas coupon that runs out in two days. I'm leaning towards the smaller and somewhat less expensive (at Cabelas) Depth Raider, but I've got a couple concerns that maybe someone could ease:

There's the compass issue. Would one or both of these cause issues with my compass?

Will Depth Raider be around in 10 years to support these products? How long have they been making these units? Sub Troll has been around for quite a while.

I haven't been able to get an answer to the slow speed operation of the Depth Raider. I've heard that the Sub Troll works well at slow speeds like 1.0 or so but I wonder how the Depth Raider does with it's smaller paddle wheel.

Thanks for all you help.