Laker - jigging sonar

Contemplating a new fishfinder for lake trout jigging, have been using a Lowrance X85 for many years, which has served fine but has some limitations.  Looking at 7" models - anyone using a Humminbird Helix 7 or Lowrance Elite 7-Ti for jigging purposes?   Mainly looking for clear jig tracking and picking up fish on the bottom easily - love to play that cat and mouse game on the screen! :) 

Thanks, Mike

Use a lowrsnce hds7 when I was jigging could see the drop and retrieve and fish following it up on the live portion have no problem detecting Lakers laying on bottom... guide on Cayuga that jigs almost exclusively uses same unit 

The hds 7 is a great unit, look into raymarine as well.  I've been using the dragonfly 7 pro which is great for jigging.

One really nice feature is the ability to mirror the screen on any wifi enabled device - iPad, tablet, smartphone etc.  This is awesome if you have multiple people fishing so everyone can see a screen and track their jigs.  Much easier and cheaper than trying to set up multiple units.

We have a 9.7" iPad as a second screen and it's been working perfectly.

I use the dragonfly 5 and Jig lakers in Keuka. You can easily see the lakers and jig on it. I bought the 5" screen because I have a smaller 16.5' boat. The good, the Navionics or C chip is included in the price. Your choice.  The bad, The transducer looks like a giant bird beak back there and I am in constant fear of breaking it off when launching or retrieving. I have just replaced the bracket holding it on. but got it for free from raytheon. It was a $20 part if I had to pay.

I'm likely to stick with Hummingbird myself as I want one that supports iPilot link for my trolling motor, the HDS 7 looks like a nice upgrade... now to convince my wife that the boat needs an upgrade :) 

I went from the old lowrance X-85 to a garmin echo. It worked great for jigging lakers for about 2 years and then seemed to not pick up the jig as well no matter how I tried to adjust it. I then went with the humminbird helix and am happy enough to get another one for the boat upgrade. I do better with the lower frequency transducer with the wider cone angle (83kHz and 60 degrees.) Some of the newer DI models with the chirp eliminated that, IMO a mistake. Humminbird helix can run a split screen with both 83 kHz and the 200 kHz (20 degree cone angle), but I prefer the bottom zoom/low frequency split screen. It's all what you feel most comfortable with--I drive a Dodge Ram and my fishing partner loves a Ford 150.

Thanks Squealin,  that's great to hear - very appreciated.  Seems like info-overload with many these sonars (and a lot of marketing bells/whistles of course).  I'm narrowing choices down though and that Helix is one of my top pics, really like it's simplicity.

Thanks for all the people who have provided info in this thread. Copperliner is right about the info overload, I asked two different chat services now with retailers and neither of them have been able to give me a clear answer yet. I have settled on 3 requirements for a new unit. 

1. I have an Terrova trolling motor that supports iPilot link and I'd like the new fish finder to have support for that (my current one doesn't).
  2. The trolling motor also has a transducer mounted on the bottom of it (built in) and i'd like that to attach to the FF (as a second transducer) so the people in the front of the boat can see there lines separately from the people near the back of the boat where the main transducer is mounted. 
  3. I'd also like it to have the WIFI capability to mirror the screen that Cronotice mentioned - One really nice feature is the ability to mirror the screen on any wifi enabled device - iPad, tablet, smartphone etc.  This is awesome if you have multiple people fishing so everyone can see a screen and track their jigs.  Much easier and cheaper than trying to set up multiple units.

The question that I cant find a clear answer to is which models support two transducers and have the wifi capability?

Does anyone know if the Helix 7 or 9 has all of these?

Looks like the helix units support ipilot link, I don't see anything on the hummingbird site about wifi mirroring.

I've never had good luck running 2 transducers simultaneously without lots of interference,  I'm not sure it's really necessary either, when we're fishing with a second wifi screen you can see each individual jig fall and fish chasing each one back up.  Typically whoever is fishing closer to the transducer will have a darker more apparent line on the screen representing their jig but we have had luck seeing 3 to 4 jigs at the same time, you just have to keep track of which one is yours.

13 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

I have a helix you can use 2 transducers, switching from one to the other but not simultaneously. 

This is something common but with the models that I mentionne you can both transducers. at the same time but there is a cost for that. The reason why you can run 2 transducers at the same time w/o interference S is because those units are using 2 processors and double the Ram.

Edited by wallyandre
  • Like 1

I'd make sure you go beyond the "compatible" phrase before you purchase. I know lowrance unit that are "capable" sometimes require a wifi/network box and cable that can cost a couple hundred. I'm no expert in FF, just a guy who spent the money thinking it was ready and realized I needed to spend more.