Laker - jigging sonar

4 hours ago, dbltrbl said:

Vexilar with open water transducer mounted on your trolling motor. Can't beat this combo for any vertical fishing.

That's what I do.  I have the Minn Kota powerdrive on the bow with the universal sonar and run my FL-18 through that with the adapter cord.  Just like ice fishing in the boat and good down to 200'.  

On 3/14/2018 at 2:13 PM, slipbob said:

That's what I do.  I have the Minn Kota powerdrive on the bow with the universal sonar and run my FL-18 through that with the adapter cord.  Just like ice fishing in the boat and good down to 200'.  

This is a great idea actually. Ill likely either put my old 486CI on the front hooked to the trolling motor (I already have adapter for US2 to Hummingbird) or maybe buy a dedicated flasher like a vexilar for it. 

After some research and talking to a very helpful guy at Bass Pro the other day, here is what I found out about what I want. 

I cant buy a FF that will both do iPilot and Wifi sharing/streaming to iPhone/iPad (none exist). No Hummingbird models currently have WIFI Sharing at all and if I get a Lowrance then I have to sacrifice iPilot Link but I can get wifi sharing. Only hummingbird's can do iPilot link and at this point there's a part of me that wishes I had bought a Motorguide trolling motor so I could get both iPilot features and Wifi sharing (Though I love the Minn Kota Terrova I have)

I have settled on giving up Wifi sharing/streaming and maybe getting a lower priced Hummingbird with iPilot link to hold me over until maybe one day when Hummingbird comes out with a Wifi enabled model that will also allow for iPilot link. That being said some of the new features on the hummingbird's sound interesting enough to try. 

Specifically looking at the Helix 7 or 9. 

Questions. 

Does SI or DI really work down to 150 feet as advertised? (advertised is up to 350" but I think that's a bit exaggerated) 

CHIRP Side Imaging/CHIRP Down Imaging/CHIRP Digital Sonar/DualBeam PLUS - Which one of these are beneficial to Jigging? All of them? Any of them?

I like the idea of being able to see baitfish more clearly then I can now. Currently when I see a block of baitfish showing down there so thick my current FF cant see past it, its hard to know if there's any fish under or in that bait. 

Thanks for all the valuable info in this thread. 

Pcpete

We have the the gen 1 helix 9 and we have 2 gen 1 12 inch si units and 3 gen 2 12 inch mega imaging units and all of them can run multiple transducers and can run 2 units on 2 different transducers without interference....as far as the mirroring goes I have no idea as im not sure what the use would be if you have multiple units.  If you wanna see and try the helix line you know where I'm at!  

This is important to anyone buying a unit for the transducer on your trolling motor.  Do not bother getting di si, just get sonar GPS unit as the imaging isn't supported by the tm transducer.  A gen 1 9 inch helix is A perfect choice at about 600 bucks.  Love the helix!!!

Fishnet - not necessarily but possible. It could also be that the jig is going outside of the cone angle of the transducer  or because of the positioning of the transducer in relationship to where you are placing your line, OR possible underwater current keeping your jig outside the cone of the transducer.If your unit and transducer supports say 83/200 khz set it to 83 or if 50/200 for example set it to 50 and see if that makes a difference the cone angle should be greater with the lower setting.  It could be that the sensitivity needs to be adjusted. Are you able to see bottom and fish etc. with the unit?

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8

As I said, it seems to work fine for depth, weed vs smooth bottom, [emoji226] unless it is lying 🤥. Fishing keuka 50-100 ft my cone certainly should be bigger than my boat shouldn’t it?
I’ll look into your ideas about settings. I did crank up the sensitivity but that didn’t help.
Jigging without seeing the lure really is the pits. I’ve measured the line going down. No bites. Maybe my ff IS lying about them too!
This hobby is such a money pit I’d rather not have to buy another. Already have one on tm and one on dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Try lowering your line with the jig on it right under the transducer while the boat is anchored. If it doesn't display the jig doing that it  is possible that if your finder is old that the target separation doesn't detect that small an object. The newer ones should detect small objects like that. Usually if your transducer is shot it doesn't display bottom and fish although it may display hard bottom and not fish or anything else sometimes.

Edited by Sk8man

Spoons sit vertically when jigged this presents a very small cross section for your sonar and with very few surfaces at an angle to bounce back a sound wave try a jigging rapala or something that provides a flat surface pointed up to test and dial in your finder. As far as mirroring you can get a tablet on eBay for 50 bucks which is way less than second unit I do this on my boat which has a raymarine dragonfly pro when perch fishing I can pick up my baits (fatheads) in 30 fow haven't done any deeper still fishing I mostly troll

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you only jig deep for lakers I suppose 1 graph and tablet would work....jig/dropshot shallower or on structure and you need multiple transducers and graphs if you want to fish anywhere but under your transducer at the back of the boat.  Even with a wide angle sonar cone you can't see your jig from the wrong end of the boat in less than 40 fow and a 20 degree cone needs about 100 fow.  Doesn't

make sense to fish the bow with a trolling motor and not have a transducer on it and a graph.