Big Jon Brute rigger worth the $$

Planning to put a 3rd rigger on my new to me boat. It has 2 Big Jon captn packs. Question is it worth shelling out $400 bucks to get a Brute for running a real deep mid day meat rig etc. or not. Opinions welcome but real experience is what I'm after. Thanks!!

I have both but have been using the brutes for 2 seasons now.  One day, we took my little boat to Erie - I hadn't used the captains packs for a while.  It was amazing how slow they were in comparison.  Brutes are scary fast - and take a little getting use to.  That being said, I would never go back to captains packs.  It was almost annoying to bring the rigger up from only 50 FOW with the captains pac.

Not sure if that helps, but I like mine.  I dont' usually fish deeper than 130FOW with my riggers so cant comment on real deep.

• Like 1

I ordered mine direct from company because I was planning on using them deep with heavy weights.  I ordered a solid boom for strength.  They also put a special 50 amp fuse on mine to handle the heavy loads.  You can also order them with a delay that takes the ball down slowly for the first 5 ' or so before going to max speed.  Call Big Jon and have them build you exactly what you want.  

On 3/10/2018 at 6:33 AM, Gill-T said:

I ordered mine direct from company because I was planning on using them deep with heavy weights.  I ordered a solid boom for strength.  They also put a special 50 amp fuse on mine to handle the heavy loads.  You can also order them with a delay that takes the ball down slowly for the first 5 ' or so before going to max speed.  Call Big Jon and have them build you exactly what you want.  

I think this the way I'm going to go.Emailed them this am. I figure even if I'm not going deep I want to run a big weight on this rigger, which will be my middle rigger of 3 and the Probe rigger. That way I can minimize blowback and a wire sticking out back in the net zone.

Definitely get the delay-slow down feature for the rigger if you are going to run an expensive probe on it.  If you get the swivel base, you can swing the arm 90 degrees when netting fish down the middle.  I have a 4' boom to extend beyond a swim platform.  

9 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Definitely get the delay-slow down feature for the rigger if you are going to run an expensive probe on it.  If you get the swivel base, you can swing the arm 90 degrees when netting fish down the middle.  I have a 4' boom to extend beyond a swim platform.  

Is the delay-slow down the same thing as variable speed?

Chowder;

Don't overlook the Traxtech riggers as they with out a doubt the best riggers I have ever used.  Sold four Brutes & switched over to Traxtech four years ago,  Traxtech has a soft start & stop built in, they run slow at the start (5') then full speed, then slow for the last 5'.  The cost a couple hundred more, but IMHO are very worth it. Lifetime warranty too.

Good Luck with your purchase.

John

Edited by Iceman
more info

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Chowder;

Don't overlook the Traxtech riggers as they with out a doubt the best riggers I have ever used.  Sold four Brutes & switched over to Traxtech four years ago,  Traxtech has a soft start & stop built in, they run slow at the start (5') then full speed, then slow for the last 5'.  The cost a couple hundred more, but IMHO are very worth it. Lifetime warranty too.

Good Luck with your purchase.

John

As it seems to be turning out I'm probably going to stick w/ my Cannons on the new to me boat but HOLY WOW - these Traxtech riggers look incredible. A whole lotta bang for the big buck it seems to me. Maybe someday...