Navionics and a Tablet

Sarge5150

So this year I was going to spring for the the navionics chip to go in my Humminbird.  In my research I found that there is an app as well which got me to thinking.  I could add a tablet and add the app and potentially get the same thing with the benefit of portability.  Does anyone run this and how does it compare to the chip for the FF?  Obviously with no sonar connection you cant get real time adjustment but otherwise is it essentially the same?

I use boating USA on my cell phone and found it is more accurate than my chip in fish finder. My buddy has a iPad and it works great on there but they charge $50 or $100 for iPad app compared to $10 for phone app.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If your card is up to date you got the exact same thing on the app and n a card; if your card is 5 years old so you will see some major differences.

The most negative thing with the app is the low visibility under the sun. The app on a table is much more easy to use because of the size of the screen and it's a HD version.

I have the app on my ipad, the only down side is I had to buy a gps receiver that sends to my ipad using the ipad Bluetooth. I use it on my boat and on my buggy (RZR) it works really well and is portable.

16 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

I have the app on my ipad, the only down side is I had to buy a gps receiver that sends to my ipad using the ipad Bluetooth. I use it on my boat and on my buggy (RZR) it works really well and is portable.

Yeah I was thinking that might be an issue.  What receiver did you get?  Is it weatherproof?

I bought the bad elf, it was designed for pilots to use with IPads. It works really well and the accuracy is much better than some of the cheaper ones on the market. It will work with any tablet that has Bluetooth, and you can link up to 5 devices to it at a time. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

$100 for a refurbished Galaxy tablet, $10 for the app, and $15 for three mounts from Amazon so I can swap it between multiple boats. I'm a budget fisherman. Theres really no way to beat it.

Its also handy to have the tablet on the dash for everything from music to the countless amount of fishing and boating apps.