Transom strength opinion

salmonite

Looking for some opinions, I go to Canada for a week every year and usually we transport our motors in the truck with 14ft aluminums already up there. I am contemplating buying a 16ft tiller to tow up there to fish a little more in comfort. The layout would be similar to a Lund Fury 1600.  Now most motors with this layout I am seeing are 25hp 4 strokes and bolted in and under normal conditions would be no problem but the last two miles of my trek is pretty treacherous. Lots of bouncing and dips and extreme stress on a transom with weight on it.  Last year I lost both running boards on the trail due to bottoming out to give an good perspective.

now my question would you question ripping down a trail and trust the transom to hold up just fine with the motor hanging on the transom. Obviously I would have a transom saver...

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Don’t hang the motor on, put it on when you get up there, fished the back lakes of Canada for 30+ years. Busted a axle up there once went down to Mankiwaki and bought a new axle went back and bolted it back under and home we came!!

• Like 2

If you can handle the weight of the engine , then by all means stash it in the boat or the truck. If your 16 footer is aluminum ,the weight of the engine on the transom may be so much ,that you will have to move the wheels farther back to keep enough weight on the hitch (minimal 80 pounds). It is bad karma to have a trailer that does not ride straight and gets jumpy. I am not sure though that you can store a 4 stroke horizontal, the oil may come dripping out. I am sure that other people on this board do know the answer to that one.

• Like 1

There are two different positions to transport my 4 stroke 15hp merc. There is a label on it that shows what position it can be transported in. Check with the manufacturer for their shipping instructions.  

Boat safe

Egoody

I have mine laying with the back of the motor on the floor and the cavitation plate on the floor, no oil leaked out. Egoody is right there are stickers saying lay motor this side down. My motor is a merc 15hp 2014

If the road/trail is rough enough to rip off truck running boards, I’d leave my boat and trailer home.  Why tear your stuff up?  IMO not enough difference in a 14 to 16 footer to take a chance tearing a trailer up or knocking rivets loose in a boat.

1 hour ago, mr 580 said:

If the road/trail is rough enough to rip off truck running boards, I’d leave my boat and trailer home.  Why tear your stuff up?  IMO not enough difference in a 14 to 16 footer to take a chance tearing a trailer up or knocking rivets loose in a boat.

+1

+2. Why put your trip in a worry state, bring the motor like you always do, focus on having a good time!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You just can’t imagine the goat paths you have to drive on, especially if the logging companies aren’t in that area, then there’s no maintaining of the roads. This is what you get to look forward to, after a 115 miles of dirt road that’s like a wash board. :lol:9DFE7BFD-4BAB-460A-9571-630BC43A51A5.thumb.jpeg.98e2dd4b1359fe6b6cb32a169ccf21aa.jpeg

As far as laying the motor down horizontally there is usually a specific way recommended in the owners manual showing the exact positioning. I believe it is usually with the oil filler plug pointing upward.  Other than that it is supposed to be as vertical as possible. I 'd use the transom saver and then wrap it with a black rubber strong bungi on it cinched down tight or one of those ratcheting strap systems as well to keep it from any possible upward movement.

Edited by Sk8man

I think I will look for a boat that’s small and can have max 20hp. So it’s portable and light enough to take off, I really wanted a 25hp etec but man website says 175 lbs and most are bolted through transom.

Pap
we used to have to go down about 4.5 miles of a “goat path” lol but about 15 years ago the miners did come to the area and made a pretty serviceable road for the first 2 miles now. Just have to deal with trees growing in now and scratching the truck pretty good.

Although the extra two miles of a dirt road is nice It has increased the boat traffic to our lake though. I have seen as many as five boats a day! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United